Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Replaced a file but need the old file back

I moved a file to another folder and it prompted me if I wanted to replace an
existing file with the same name. I said yes but I really did not want
to.....Can I recover the replaced file?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
CLR CLR is offline

If you are on a network at a company, chances are their MIS dept will have
backed up the data not too long ago......ask for a restore........

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Dave" wrote:

I moved a file to another folder and it prompted me if I wanted to replace an
existing file with the same name. I said yes but I really did not want
to.....Can I recover the replaced file?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

OK... I do have backups, I have backups of the backup and I have off site
storage backups..but why is everyone assuming the file I copied onto was an
older file that may have incurred a backup to itself ?? The file which was
copied over was created 10 minutes before I replaced it mistakenly so I
thought I might be able to use a document recovery method that I was not
aware of....... someday a Microsoft operating system will actually do
something out of the ordinary and helpful when it comes to virtual real time
backups tweakable by the user based on available memory and storage available
on the desktop or server. For the past 3 years 50% of Microsoft's programming
and updating time was spent on creating software to prevent spyware and
virus's instead of creating a better operating system that is more effective
than what they sell now. To go a step further...if reformatting and
reinstalling the OS works so well to clear up problem computers then I might
just as well install a different operating system that is adverse to picking
up virus's. I still can't believe that IBM, Intel, SAP, HP, SUN, UNISYS or
somebody has not come out with a newer OS that works more effectively and is
actually user friendly. Regardless..in the time it took to get a response on
this message board I had already recreated the file. Thanks anyway.

"Dave" wrote:

I moved a file to another folder and it prompted me if I wanted to replace an
existing file with the same name. I said yes but I really did not want
to.....Can I recover the replaced file?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
CLR CLR is offline

I hear ya Dave, and I somewhat agree.........but personally I move a great
deal more data in 10 minutes than can normally be re-created in that amount
of time, and could probably not be able to afford a computer or OS that could
keep up with me on backups............

As for response time of this group.......I make your first response to be 33
minutes after you posted..........not bad, considering we all do this for
free..........

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Dave" wrote:

I moved a file to another folder and it prompted me if I wanted to replace an
existing file with the same name. I said yes but I really did not want
to.....Can I recover the replaced file?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

"Dave" wrote:

I moved a file to another folder and it prompted me if I wanted to replace an
existing file with the same name. I said yes but I really did not want
to.....Can I recover the replaced file?

Maybe a saving macro that attaches a time or other stamp onto the file
name you selected (like Book_1_12_15_PM.xls) would help you not name the
file the same name twice? I couldn't help with that, but I'm sure
someone could...
Beege

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

And seeing a response is great (although yes I seem frustrated) and I do like
using the discussion groups. Ever since I installed some of the first IBM
PC's back in the early eighties all of the Microsoft OS's have been a step
behind the second they hit the street and this is without having a
competitor. People who do not actually need to use a computer cannot learn
how to use one because the OS's are built by engineers for engineers. My
forte is hardware and networking but I can use any software. Let's start
fresh ! I do not care who builds the new OS or a lite easy to use version of
an OS. No bells and whistles. It would be readily accepted by a faction of
people who do not even think to use a PC today because they cannot even turn
one on without getting lost. Users who would need minimal support and
therefore less unprofitable calls and hassle when a person's PC is all
crapped up and I need to do a clean install. The first thing people say is
"I'll just go out and buy a new PC, they're so cheap these days". People are
incredible on how they lose track of their software and do not back up their
data but then again it's not easy and it's not an inherent part of the PC
structure . Now we've gone full circle back to issue 1...Backups. Have a
great weekend !

"Dave" wrote:

I moved a file to another folder and it prompted me if I wanted to replace an
existing file with the same name. I said yes but I really did not want
to.....Can I recover the replaced file?

Maybe a saving macro that attaches a time or other stamp onto the file
name you selected (like Book_1_12_15_PM.xls) would help you not name the
file the same name twice? I couldn't help with that, but I'm sure
someone could...
Beege

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
CLR CLR is offline

Have a great weekend !.........

You too Dave, and c'mon back any time you think we can help...........

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3