Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max Max is offline

Default Matching name from one worksheet to another

One way, using index/match
Assuming data starts in row2 down in Sheet1
In Sheet1,
Put in C2:
=IF(ISNA(MATCH(B2,Sheet2!A:A,0)),"",INDEX(Sheet2!B :B,MATCH(B2,Sheet2!A:A,0)))
Copy down
--
Max
Singapore
"Phrank" wrote in message
On Sheet1 I have a long list of names in column A along with the
associated supervisor in column B. Column C is for the group number.
On Sheet2, I have another, shorter list of names (supervisors) in
column A with their group numbers in column B. In column C of
Sheet1, I want to return the group number from matching supervisor in
column B on Sheet 2. I've looked at Match and VLookup, but nothing
seems to work. Thanks.

Frank

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

In C1 on sheet1 I put: =VLOOKUP(B1,Sheet2!$A$1:$B$4,2,FALSE) and dragged it
down Column C. I have only 4 supervisors names and groups. You can expand
the reference $A$1:$B$4 to include as many supervisors as you need