Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Phrank Phrank is offline

Default Matching name from one worksheet to another

Thanks Max and Tyro. I'm heading into work now and I'll try these
out. I appreciate the help.

Frank

On Fri, 04 Jan 2008 02:45:11 GMT, "Tyro" wrote:

In C1 on sheet1 I put: =VLOOKUP(B1,Sheet2!$A$1:$B$4,2,FALSE) and dragged it
down Column C. I have only 4 supervisors names and groups. You can expand
the reference $A$1:$B$4 to include as many supervisors as you need

"Phrank" wrote in message
.. .
On Sheet1 I have a long list of names in column A along with the
associated supervisor in column B. Column C is for the group number.
On Sheet2, I have another, shorter list of names (supervisors) in
column A with their group numbers in column B. In column C of
Sheet1, I want to return the group number from matching supervisor in
column B on Sheet 2. I've looked at Match and VLookup, but nothing
seems to work. Thanks.

Frank