-   -   Matching name from one worksheet to another (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/171613-matching-name-one-worksheet-another.html)

Max

Matching name from one worksheet to another

One way, using index/match
Assuming data starts in row2 down in Sheet1
In Sheet1,
Put in C2:
=IF(ISNA(MATCH(B2,Sheet2!A:A,0)),"",INDEX(Sheet2!B :B,MATCH(B2,Sheet2!A:A,0)))
Copy down
--
Max
Singapore
"Phrank" wrote in message
On Sheet1 I have a long list of names in column A along with the
associated supervisor in column B. Column C is for the group number.
On Sheet2, I have another, shorter list of names (supervisors) in
column A with their group numbers in column B. In column C of
Sheet1, I want to return the group number from matching supervisor in
column B on Sheet 2. I've looked at Match and VLookup, but nothing
seems to work. Thanks.

Frank

Phrank

Matching name from one worksheet to another

On Sheet1 I have a long list of names in column A along with the
associated supervisor in column B. Column C is for the group number.
On Sheet2, I have another, shorter list of names (supervisors) in
column A with their group numbers in column B. In column C of
Sheet1, I want to return the group number from matching supervisor in
column B on Sheet 2. I've looked at Match and VLookup, but nothing
seems to work. Thanks.

Frank

Tyro[_2_]

Matching name from one worksheet to another

In C1 on sheet1 I put: =VLOOKUP(B1,Sheet2!$A$1:$B$4,2,FALSE) and dragged it
down Column C. I have only 4 supervisors names and groups. You can expand
the reference $A$1:$B$4 to include as many supervisors as you need

"Phrank" wrote in message
On Sheet1 I have a long list of names in column A along with the
associated supervisor in column B. Column C is for the group number.
On Sheet2, I have another, shorter list of names (supervisors) in
column A with their group numbers in column B. In column C of
Sheet1, I want to return the group number from matching supervisor in
column B on Sheet 2. I've looked at Match and VLookup, but nothing
seems to work. Thanks.

Frank

Phrank

Matching name from one worksheet to another

Thanks Max and Tyro. I'm heading into work now and I'll try these
out. I appreciate the help.

Frank

On Fri, 04 Jan 2008 02:45:11 GMT, "Tyro" wrote:

In C1 on sheet1 I put: =VLOOKUP(B1,Sheet2!$A$1:$B$4,2,FALSE) and dragged it
down Column C. I have only 4 supervisors names and groups. You can expand
the reference $A$1:$B$4 to include as many supervisors as you need

.. .