Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Conditional formatting by day of the date in Excel 2003

I use a worksheet for each month to track my bills.
I enter a due date of each bill in Month Day Year eg. 03/14/01.
I would like for my date that I would enter to change color if the Day is
less than the previous date entered.
eg March tab has card due on 03/14/01, and in April the date may be 04/10/01.
I would like April date to be Red, for example.

Can this be done?
Thanks for your responce.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Are you saying that if the day of the month is less, you want it to show in
RED?

I think I'd use a formula something like this

=Day(A1)< Day (A2)

Where A1 is last months cell and a2 is this months cell
--
HTH,
Barb Reinhardt

"billz" wrote:

I use a worksheet for each month to track my bills.
I enter a due date of each bill in Month Day Year eg. 03/14/01.
I would like for my date that I would enter to change color if the Day is
less than the previous date entered.
eg March tab has card due on 03/14/01, and in April the date may be 04/10/01.
I would like April date to be Red, for example.

Can this be done?
Thanks for your responce.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I tried:
=Day(AUG!$N$4)< Day (SEP!$N$4)
September day was earlier than August day, but I received an error that I
can not do it.
Error read; You may not use references to other worksheets or workbooks for
Conditional Formatting criteria.

Strange because I already use valuse from previous worksheets in this file.

"billz" wrote:

I use a worksheet for each month to track my bills.
I enter a due date of each bill in Month Day Year eg. 03/14/01.
I would like for my date that I would enter to change color if the Day is
less than the previous date entered.
eg March tab has card due on 03/14/01, and in April the date may be 04/10/01.
I would like April date to be Red, for example.

Can this be done?
Thanks for your responce.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

OK, I see the problem now. You'll need to define a workbook level named
range to be able to do this. This named range needs to be defined for the
cell that is not on the active sheet. Come back if you need more help.
--
HTH,
Barb Reinhardt

"billz" wrote:

I use a worksheet for each month to track my bills.
I enter a due date of each bill in Month Day Year eg. 03/14/01.
I would like for my date that I would enter to change color if the Day is
less than the previous date entered.
eg March tab has card due on 03/14/01, and in April the date may be 04/10/01.
I would like April date to be Red, for example.

Can this be done?
Thanks for your responce.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

SURE....

Thats a mouthful.

I figured out how to label a cell, then how to accept labels in formulas,
but.... it just drops you off there with no more info on what you do with
the labeled formatted cell.
the defining part points to 3-D reference.
Seems like a lot of work to get a value to change.

Looks like I might use a separate cell for just the day.
Probably easier to do that.

"billz" wrote:

I use a worksheet for each month to track my bills.
I enter a due date of each bill in Month Day Year eg. 03/14/01.
I would like for my date that I would enter to change color if the Day is
less than the previous date entered.
eg March tab has card due on 03/14/01, and in April the date may be 04/10/01.
I would like April date to be Red, for example.

Can this be done?
Thanks for your responce.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Try it like this...

Comparing SEP to AUG

Select the SEP sheet
Select cell N4

FormatConditional Formatting
Formula Is:

=AND(COUNT(N4),DAY(N4)<DAY(INDIRECT("AUG!N4")))

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"billz" wrote in message
I use a worksheet for each month to track my bills.
I enter a due date of each bill in Month Day Year eg. 03/14/01.
I would like for my date that I would enter to change color if the Day is
less than the previous date entered.
eg March tab has card due on 03/14/01, and in April the date may be
04/10/01.
I would like April date to be Red, for example.

Can this be done?
Thanks for your responce.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Biff