Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default The reply worked, but I still need help....

The reply worked, but I had to redo my formula and develop a new formula.
The new formula is: y = -9E-11x2 + 3E-05x - 0.011 Now, Excel will not let me
enter it as Excel will not let me continue because Excel insists that I
change the -9E to the cell address of "E9."

Can anyone help me write this formula so that Excel will accept it.

THank you very much.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You haven't made it clear which reply you are talking about, as you started
a new thread instead of replying to the message to which you wished to
refer.

.... but I don't see your problem. What formula were you trying?
= -9E-11*A2^2 + 3E-05*A2 - 0.011 works for me.
--
David Biddulph

"John1791" wrote in message
The reply worked, but I had to redo my formula and develop a new formula.
The new formula is: y = -9E-11x2 + 3E-05x - 0.011 Now, Excel will not let
me
enter it as Excel will not let me continue because Excel insists that I
change the -9E to the cell address of "E9."

Can anyone help me write this formula so that Excel will accept it.

THank you very much.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

John,

I assume you mean David's reply. If you do the answer he gave you is a valid
solution to this latest question. i.e.

= -9e-11*A2^2 + 3e-5*A2 - 0.011

Mike

"John1791" wrote:

The reply worked, but I had to redo my formula and develop a new formula.
The new formula is: y = -9E-11x2 + 3E-05x - 0.011 Now, Excel will not let me
enter it as Excel will not let me continue because Excel insists that I
change the -9E to the cell address of "E9."

Can anyone help me write this formula so that Excel will accept it.

THank you very much.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

i admit i have no idea what this formula does, but when i copy

= -9e-11*A2^2 + 3e-5*A2 - 0.011

into a cell & hit enter, it turns it into:

= -0.00000000009*A2^2 + 0.00003*A2 - 0.011
which shows a value of -0.011.

(i have no idea if it actually means the same as the first one!)

and if i try to put some parentheses around stuff, it also tells me
that 9e is an error & needs to be changed into E9.

just to validate the OP's problem.
:)
susan

"John1791" wrote:
The reply worked, but I had to redo my formula and develop a new formula.. *
The new formula is: y = -9E-11x2 + 3E-05x - 0.011 *Now, Excel will not let me
enter it as Excel will not let me continue because Excel insists that I
change the -9E to the cell address of "E9."

Can anyone help me write this formula so that Excel will accept it.

THank you very much.- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Yes, it does mean the same as the first one, Susan, but if the answer that
comes out is -0.011, then you don't have 36000 in A2. [You presumably have
zero?]
With 36000 in A2, the answer is 0.95236. If the OP is expecting 1.01, then
my guess is that he doesn't have enough significant figures in his
polynomial coefficients.
--
David Biddulph

"John1791" wrote:
The reply worked, but I had to redo my formula and develop a new
formula.
The new formula is: y = -9E-11x2 + 3E-05x - 0.011 Now, Excel will not
let me
enter it as Excel will not let me continue because Excel insists that I
change the -9E to the cell address of "E9."

Can anyone help me write this formula so that Excel will accept it.

THank you very much.- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

yep, it was zero.
he didn't say (in this post) what answer he was expecting, just that
it wouldn't let him enter the formula. i was simply saying i had been
able to duplicate his error.
........... bowing out now (semi-gracefully).
:)
susan