Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Is there a single function that duplicates Solver?

I can use Solver to figure out what value one cell needs to take on in order
to maximize (or set to some value) some other cell. What I would like to do
is to write a single function, in a single cell, that presents the OUTPUT of
the Solver process. For example, I would be looking for a function of the
type =SOLVER(a1,b1=max,"a2<5",...), where a1 is the cell to be changed, b1 is
the cell to be maximized, and the constraints follow. Does such a function
exist?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Eric Boughton -

Constrained optimization usually involves iterative methods. For example, at
each iteration, Solver changes values in the changing cells. A worksheet
function implemented as a VBA User Defined Function can only return a value
to the cell in which it resides. It cannot change other cells. So, I doubt
that it is possible to get what you want using a VBA UDF (or any other
"function" approach). Instead, in VBA, the desired feature requires a
subroutine (for example, called from a menu item, similar to the Solver
implementation). Short answer: Such a function does not exist.

- Mike Middleton
http://www.DecisionToolworks.com'
Decison Analysis Add-ins for Excel