Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Lock spreadsheet but can sort

I am working on a template. I'd like to lock my spreadsheet so others who
use this template can't change the formula inside, but I'd like to make the
sorting feature available. Is there a way to do this?

When I go to Tool Protection Protect Sheet, it also disable the sorting
feature in Excel.

Any help or advice?

Thanks,
GU

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

But you can only sort a contiguous unlocked range of cells so is very limited

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 13:23:01 -0800, John Bundy (remove)
wrote:

What version of xl? my 2003 has a checkbox where you select protect that
allows you to check 'sort'

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I'm using Excel 2004 for Macintosh. I think it's equivalent to Excel 2003
for PC.

Unfortunately, there is no such option for me. Are there any Visual Basic
option that I can go about to set this up?

It just seems so restricted to set this up in Excel, but that's all we have.

Thanks for any help.
GU

"Neon520" wrote:

I am working on a template. I'd like to lock my spreadsheet so others who
use this template can't change the formula inside, but I'd like to make the
sorting feature available. Is there a way to do this?

When I go to Tool Protection Protect Sheet, it also disable the sorting
feature in Excel.

Any help or advice?

Thanks,
GU

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

ActiveSheet.Unprotect Password:="justme"

'do your sorting by code

ActiveSheet.Protect Password:="justme"

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

"Neon520" wrote:

I am working on a template. I'd like to lock my spreadsheet so others who
use this template can't change the formula inside, but I'd like to make the
sorting feature available. Is there a way to do this?

When I go to Tool Protection Protect Sheet, it also disable the sorting
feature in Excel.

Any help or advice?

Thanks,
GU

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

"it doesn't work" means what?

No sorting? Post your sorting code.

Incorrect sorting? Post your sorting code.

Gord