Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Conditional formatting for rows

I'm familiar with conditional formatting, but cannot figure out the formula
to highlight an entire row based on the contents in one cell. For example,
for every cell in column G that contains the word "visa", I would like that
entire corresponding row to be highlighted. Can anyone tell me the formula?
Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Formula is: =IF($G1="visa",true,false)
Do this somewhere in row 1, then copy the format everywhere you need it. The
$ sign locks the formula on column G, while the row number is floating.
--
Best Regards,

Luke M

"ExcelObsessed" wrote:

I'm familiar with conditional formatting, but cannot figure out the formula
to highlight an entire row based on the contents in one cell. For example,
for every cell in column G that contains the word "visa", I would like that
entire corresponding row to be highlighted. Can anyone tell me the formula?
Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thank you, but I'm asking specifically about conditional formatting. So,
going into format -- conditional formatting, I need to enter a formula to
automatically highlight the entire row rather than just the individual cell.
Thoughts? Thanks again!

"ExcelObsessed" wrote:

I'm familiar with conditional formatting, but cannot figure out the formula
to highlight an entire row based on the contents in one cell. For example,
for every cell in column G that contains the word "visa", I would like that
entire corresponding row to be highlighted. Can anyone tell me the formula?
Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

That is the formula to use with the conditional format. You can copy
conditional formats from one cell to another.

Once you have the conditional format in once cell, copy, then select desired
area(or all, with Ctrl+A) to be affected, and right-click, paste special.
Choose format.
--
Best Regards,

Luke M

"ExcelObsessed" wrote:

I'm familiar with conditional formatting, but cannot figure out the formula
to highlight an entire row based on the contents in one cell. For example,
for every cell in column G that contains the word "visa", I would like that
entire corresponding row to be highlighted. Can anyone tell me the formula?
Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Highlight row 2 by clicking on the row identifier, then click on
Format | Conditional formatting, select Formula Is rather than Cell
Value Is and enter this formula:

=ISNUMBER(SEARCH("visa",$G2))

Then click on the Format button, select the Patterns tab and choose
your background colour. OK your way out. With row2 still highlighted,
double-click the Format Painter icon, then click in A3, A4, A5 etc for
all the rows that you want this effect to apply to - press <Esc when
you are done.

Hope this helps.

Pete

"ExcelObsessed" wrote:

I'm familiar with conditional formatting, but cannot figure out the formula
to highlight an entire row based on the contents in one cell. For example,
for every cell in column G that contains the word "visa", I would like that
entire corresponding row to be highlighted. Can anyone tell me the formula?
Thanks!- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You could simply select Column G then FormatCFCell Value is: Equal to "visa"
without the IF, TRUE, FALSE formula.

Or simply Formula is: =$G1="visa"

Also without using the format painter.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP