Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Conditional Formatting of rows

I am creating an action plan in excel 2003 and I want to use conditional
formatting to format the row once a cell in the action status column reads
"Completed".

I can use Conditional Formatting to format the cell containing "Completed"
however I don't know what to do to apply this formatting to the rest of the
row in the range.

Can anyone help me with this!

Cheers
Kate
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Kate,

Highlight the entire area that will be subject to the conditional
formatting, highlight as far across the rows as required. Format, Conditional
Formatting and select Formula Is. Then enter your required formula:
=$A2="Completed", then apply the required format. Click OK
--
Hope that helps,
MarkN

"KATE MCL" wrote:

I am creating an action plan in excel 2003 and I want to use conditional
formatting to format the row once a cell in the action status column reads
"Completed".

I can use Conditional Formatting to format the cell containing "Completed"
however I don't know what to do to apply this formatting to the rest of the
row in the range.

Can anyone help me with this!

Cheers
Kate

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks Mark!

It worked for one row that already had Completed in it however my status
column has drop down boxes to select from either Not Started, Pending or
Completed.

When I changed the formatted cell from Completed to Pending the formatting
did not revert back to the normal format. Also when I selected other cells in
the status column (column H) and changed the status to Completed nothing
happened.

Any ideas how I can change this?

Kate

"KATE MCL" wrote:

I am creating an action plan in excel 2003 and I want to use conditional
formatting to format the row once a cell in the action status column reads
"Completed".

I can use Conditional Formatting to format the cell containing "Completed"
however I don't know what to do to apply this formatting to the rest of the
row in the range.

Can anyone help me with this!

Cheers
Kate

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Kate,
Did you use the cell reference $A4 (as opposed to $A$4) as mine works OK.
Let me know.
--
Thanks,
MarkN

"KATE MCL" wrote:

I am creating an action plan in excel 2003 and I want to use conditional
formatting to format the row once a cell in the action status column reads
"Completed".

I can use Conditional Formatting to format the cell containing "Completed"
however I don't know what to do to apply this formatting to the rest of the
row in the range.

Can anyone help me with this!

Cheers
Kate

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Mark

I changed it to $H4 which is the start of my status column and that has
worked! Thanks for your help!!!!

I have posted another question Highlighting Overdue Tasks as well do you
have any suggestions about that?

Kate

"KATE MCL" wrote:

I am creating an action plan in excel 2003 and I want to use conditional
formatting to format the row once a cell in the action status column reads
"Completed".

I can use Conditional Formatting to format the cell containing "Completed"
however I don't know what to do to apply this formatting to the rest of the
row in the range.

Can anyone help me with this!

Cheers
Kate

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Mark

I changed it to $H4 rather than $A4 which is the start of my status column
and that worked! Thanks for your help!!!

I have posted another question Highlighting Overdue Tasks do you have any
suggestions regarding that?

Kate

"KATE MCL" wrote:

I am creating an action plan in excel 2003 and I want to use conditional
formatting to format the row once a cell in the action status column reads
"Completed".

I can use Conditional Formatting to format the cell containing "Completed"
however I don't know what to do to apply this formatting to the rest of the
row in the range.

Can anyone help me with this!

Cheers
Kate

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Kate,
Your conditional formatting works logically. The first condition that can be
evaluated to true causes that conditional formatting to be set. If you want
the Overdue condition to be the priority condition, change the order of the
conditional formats so that the overdue condition is the first of the
conditional formats.

Does that make sense??
--
Thanks,
MarkN

"KATE MCL" wrote:

I am creating an action plan in excel 2003 and I want to use conditional
formatting to format the row once a cell in the action status column reads
"Completed".

I can use Conditional Formatting to format the cell containing "Completed"
however I don't know what to do to apply this formatting to the rest of the
row in the range.

Can anyone help me with this!

Cheers
Kate

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Whoops! Sorry about the 3 replies it send it hadn't sent due to an error!!!!

Regarding the due date I wanted to be able to change the status column to
OVERDUE (I included that on my drop down list for each cell in the status
column) when the date in the due date column was less than TODAYs date. When
the status changed to OVERDUE I wanted that row to be shaded red.

I received a formula to check for overdue dates which brought up the text
Overdue in a separate column in addition to my status column:
=IF(AND(A2<"",TODAY()A2,B2<"Ccompleted"),"Overd ue","")
I then had a conditional formatting formula to highlight the row red:
=$C1="Overdue"

However, because of my other conditional formatting if the date is overdue
(and the separate column reads overdue) but the status column reads Pending
the row will stay yellow & if Completed green.

I was hoping to get the overdue entered into the status column rather than
having a separate column & to have the due date override the other formatting.

Can this be done???

Kate

"KATE MCL" wrote:

I am creating an action plan in excel 2003 and I want to use conditional
formatting to format the row once a cell in the action status column reads
"Completed".

I can use Conditional Formatting to format the cell containing "Completed"
however I don't know what to do to apply this formatting to the rest of the
row in the range.

Can anyone help me with this!

Cheers
Kate

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

EXCELLENT!!! Works like a treat! Swapped the due date conditional formatting
to Condition 1 & all fixed!

Really appreciate your help Mark - Thanks.

"KATE MCL" wrote:

I am creating an action plan in excel 2003 and I want to use conditional
formatting to format the row once a cell in the action status column reads
"Completed".

I can use Conditional Formatting to format the cell containing "Completed"
however I don't know what to do to apply this formatting to the rest of the
row in the range.

Can anyone help me with this!

Cheers
Kate

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

In , MarkN
spake thusly:

Hi Kate, How is your due date calculated?

<jk 9 months after conception, I think. <jk

-dman- (sorry, couldn't resist that one; no insult intended)