Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
JBW JBW is offline

Default cannot format date at all

I have exported from SAP system some data into excel.

I need to work out the week number in some dates 12.03.2007 format, for some
reason weeknum will not work at all, I thought maybe if I changed the format
to 12 march 2007 it would work (did on another sheet) but I cannot, no matter
what change the format, it's as if it's locked.

How?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

imagine you have 12.03.2007 in cells A1.
To excel, that is just a bit of text and you can't handle it like a date.

in cell A2, use =date(right(A1,4),mid(A1,4,2),left(A1,2))

this will give you a number like 38492

now you can format this number as a date
you can use calculation with it
you can sort it properly
you can use weeknum on it

--