-   -   cannot format date at all (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/167853-cannot-format-date-all.html)

JBW

cannot format date at all

I have exported from SAP system some data into excel.

I need to work out the week number in some dates 12.03.2007 format, for some
reason weeknum will not work at all, I thought maybe if I changed the format
to 12 march 2007 it would work (did on another sheet) but I cannot, no matter
what change the format, it's as if it's locked.

How?

Richard Edwards

cannot format date at all

have you tried converting it to text? =text(A1, "dd.mm.yyyy")

"JBW" wrote in message
I have exported from SAP system some data into excel.

I need to work out the week number in some dates 12.03.2007 format, for
some
reason weeknum will not work at all, I thought maybe if I changed the
format
to 12 march 2007 it would work (did on another sheet) but I cannot, no
matter
what change the format, it's as if it's locked.

How?

Allllen

cannot format date at all

imagine you have 12.03.2007 in cells A1.
To excel, that is just a bit of text and you can't handle it like a date.

in cell A2, use =date(right(A1,4),mid(A1,4,2),left(A1,2))

this will give you a number like 38492

now you can format this number as a date
you can use calculation with it
you can sort it properly
you can use weeknum on it

--
Allllen

"JBW" wrote:

I have exported from SAP system some data into excel.

I need to work out the week number in some dates 12.03.2007 format, for some
reason weeknum will not work at all, I thought maybe if I changed the format
to 12 march 2007 it would work (did on another sheet) but I cannot, no matter
what change the format, it's as if it's locked.

How?

Gord Dibben

cannot format date at all

DataText to ColumnsNextNextColumn Data FormatDateDMYFinish

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP