Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default #VALUE! error message help needed please

I have a very simple checking account SS. All has been working fine. Now
all of a sudden about halfway down the balance column I get a #VALUE! error
message in that and all following cells in the column. Too my knowledge
there has been no change in the formula and all cells that should be are
formatted for currency. Here's a recap:
Colum C = Payee, F = Check amount, H=Deposit amount, I=Balance
The formula in the balance column for row 25 is =IF(C25="","",I24-F25+H25).
In that way the balance is blank if no check has been written in that row.
What may cause this? As I say it has been working fine.

--
Thanks in advance... Bob

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Here is an update to the above problem. I have isolated the problem to be
only in the 1st cell with the error message. If I delete the formula from
that cell all of the following cells compute fine from that point. Of
course the total is wrong because it is ignoring everything that came
previous to that point.

Bob

"Bob Newman" wrote in message
I have a very simple checking account SS. All has been working fine. Now
all of a sudden about halfway down the balance column I get a #VALUE! error
message in that and all following cells in the column. Too my knowledge
there has been no change in the formula and all cells that should be are
formatted for currency. Here's a recap:
Colum C = Payee, F = Check amount, H=Deposit amount, I=Balance
The formula in the balance column for row 25 is
=IF(C25="","",I24-F25+H25). In that way the balance is blank if no check
has been written in that row. What may cause this? As I say it has been
working fine.

--
Thanks in advance... Bob

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

One of the values you process in that cell is probably text. I know it looks like a number and is formatted as Number, but still
it is text.
You can easily check with the ISTEXT() function.
Format as Number and re-enter (F2, ENTER)

A frequent cause is that the "number" was copied somewhere else and pasted into the cell.

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Bob Newman" wrote in message ...
| Here is an update to the above problem. I have isolated the problem to be
| only in the 1st cell with the error message. If I delete the formula from
| that cell all of the following cells compute fine from that point. Of
| course the total is wrong because it is ignoring everything that came
| previous to that point.
|
| Bob
|
| "Bob Newman" wrote in message
| I have a very simple checking account SS. All has been working fine. Now
| all of a sudden about halfway down the balance column I get a #VALUE! error
| message in that and all following cells in the column. Too my knowledge
| there has been no change in the formula and all cells that should be are
| formatted for currency. Here's a recap:
| Colum C = Payee, F = Check amount, H=Deposit amount, I=Balance
| The formula in the balance column for row 25 is
| =IF(C25="","",I24-F25+H25). In that way the balance is blank if no check
| has been written in that row. What may cause this? As I say it has been
| working fine.
|
| --
| Thanks in advance... Bob

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

The ISTEXT came back false but you gave me an idea. I inserted a row under
the offending one, reentered the data into it and then deleted the offending
row and all is now fine.

Bob