Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Evaluate function

Hi All,

I work with XL2003 Hungarian language version. I've a FUNCS.XLS file in
folder C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office11\1038 consisting of a
function list and Hungarian translation of function names. It contains
Evaluate function, but I can't find it in Excel (only in VBA). Is there such
a function in Excel, if yes, where can I find it?

Thanks,
Stefi

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

"Stefi" wrote in message
Hi All,

I work with XL2003 Hungarian language version. I've a FUNCS.XLS file in
folder C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office11\1038 consisting of a
function list and Hungarian translation of function names. It contains
Evaluate function, but I can't find it in Excel (only in VBA). Is there
such
a function in Excel, if yes, where can I find it?

Thanks,
Stefi

There is no such worksheet function.

What do you think it does?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks for your reply, Stephen. It seems that FUNCS.XLS contains not only
worksheet functions, though it's then questionable why are they translated
(VBA functions are used in original English forms). I would expect the same
operation as that of VBA Evaluate function: evaluate an expression.

Regards,
Stefi

€žStephen€ť ezt Ă*rta:

"Stefi" wrote in message
Hi All,

I work with XL2003 Hungarian language version. I've a FUNCS.XLS file in
folder C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office11\1038 consisting of a
function list and Hungarian translation of function names. It contains
Evaluate function, but I can't find it in Excel (only in VBA). Is there
such
a function in Excel, if yes, where can I find it?

Thanks,
Stefi

There is no such worksheet function.

What do you think it does?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Stefi,

Here is an interesting one I found in a google search.
http://www.ozgrid.com/News/excel-eva...ormula-VBA.htm
Scroll down to Excel Tips and Tricks.

HTH
Martin

"Stephen" ezt írta:

"Stefi" wrote in message
Hi All,

I work with XL2003 Hungarian language version. I've a FUNCS.XLS file in
folder C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office11\1038 consisting of a
function list and Hungarian translation of function names. It contains
Evaluate function, but I can't find it in Excel (only in VBA). Is there
such
a function in Excel, if yes, where can I find it?

Thanks,
Stefi

There is no such worksheet function.

What do you think it does?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

There's no need for an "evaluate an expression" worksheet function, as the
function evaluates whenever any of its data changes. That's the essential
difference between worksheet functions and VBA: worksheet functions are
"live" (assuming calculation is set to automatic), whereas VBA expressions
calculate once at some event (pehaps just when the macro is run).

"Stephen" ezt írta:

"Stefi" wrote in message
Hi All,

I work with XL2003 Hungarian language version. I've a FUNCS.XLS file in
folder C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office11\1038 consisting of a
function list and Hungarian translation of function names. It contains
Evaluate function, but I can't find it in Excel (only in VBA). Is there
such
a function in Excel, if yes, where can I find it?

Thanks,
Stefi

There is no such worksheet function.

What do you think it does?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks for the tip, Martin, I tried it but it didn't work for me, maybe
because of language difference. I tried both EVALUATE and its Hungarian
equivalent but neither of them worked. If you have English language Excel, I
would appriciate if you could make a test

Regards,
Stefi

€žMartinW€ť ezt Ă*rta:

"Stefi" wrote in message
Thanks for your reply, Stephen. It seems that FUNCS.XLS contains not only
worksheet functions, though it's then questionable why are they translated
(VBA functions are used in original English forms). I would expect the
same
operation as that of VBA Evaluate function: evaluate an expression.

Regards,
Stefi

"Stephen" ezt Ă*rta:

"Stefi" wrote in message
Hi All,

I work with XL2003 Hungarian language version. I've a FUNCS.XLS file in
folder C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office11\1038 consisting of a
function list and Hungarian translation of function names. It contains
Evaluate function, but I can't find it in Excel (only in VBA). Is there
such
a function in Excel, if yes, where can I find it?

Thanks,
Stefi

There is no such worksheet function.

What do you think it does?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Stefi,

Yes I have an English version of Excel 2000 and by following the
instructions
exactly, it works as it says. Quite amazing actually.

I can't see a need for it myself, however I can see a bit of potential
there.
On face value it appears to calculate on text values which to me seems
like it could be very useful in certain situations.

HTH
Martin

"Stephen" ezt írta:

"Stefi" wrote in message
Hi All,

I work with XL2003 Hungarian language version. I've a FUNCS.XLS file
in
folder C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office11\1038 consisting of
function list and Hungarian translation of function names. It
contains
Evaluate function, but I can't find it in Excel (only in VBA). Is
there
such
a function in Excel, if yes, where can I find it?

Thanks,
Stefi

There is no such worksheet function.

What do you think it does?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Martin,

Many thanks for your assistance! I also think that this feature can be
useful. I discovered one more difference in our environments: I Use Excel
2003. I'm going to test this feature in Excel 2000 (Hungarian version) but I
can't see any reason for such a difference between Excel 2000 and Excel
2003. I have no idea how could I make this feature work in Hungarian version!

"Stefi" wrote in message
Thanks for the tip, Martin, I tried it but it didn't work for me, maybe
because of language difference. I tried both EVALUATE and its Hungarian
equivalent but neither of them worked. If you have English language Excel,
would appriciate if you could make a test

Regards,
Stefi

"MartinW" ezt Ă*rta: