Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Setting up a worksheet

I want to be able to type in a name in 1 cell and another name in another
cell and then it give me a number... example

C7= BTGH
F7= HH
and the result is 3

this is for a mileage expense report that we just want to be able to type in
the locations of each and then it gives us back the mileage amounts.

sometimes the information may be...
C7 = HH
F7=BTGH
and the result is still 3

there are a lot of other locations that need to be added, i think i just
need help starting ...

thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You need a VLOOKUP() table. For example in columns AB and AB and AC and AD:

In AA the start
In AB the destination
In AC the formula:
=AA1 & AB1