Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Large Time totals not summing.

I'm having an issue trying to total large time values. I've made sure
to set my cell format to [h]:mm:ss for both figures and total, but
anytime I sum these numbers I get an 0:00:00 for the total.

Below is a sample of the 220 rows I need to total.

Name 1 171:06:28
Name 2 140:37:48
Name 3 87:00:26
Name 4 145:54:46
Name 5 100:19:47
Name 6 89:30:58
Name 7 86:21:33
Name 8 131:02:22
Name 9 159:13:17

As you can see the totals will be in the thousands of hours
accumulated. Any help anyone can give me on this is greatly
appreciated.

Thanks,
Sam

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Your times are probably TEXT entries.

Try this:

Select the range of cells in question
Goto the menu DataText to columns
Click Next twice
Under Column data format select DATE
Finish

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Brik" wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm having an issue trying to total large time values. I've made sure
to set my cell format to [h]:mm:ss for both figures and total, but
anytime I sum these numbers I get an 0:00:00 for the total.

Below is a sample of the 220 rows I need to total.

Name 1 171:06:28
Name 2 140:37:48
Name 3 87:00:26
Name 4 145:54:46
Name 5 100:19:47
Name 6 89:30:58
Name 7 86:21:33
Name 8 131:02:22
Name 9 159:13:17

As you can see the totals will be in the thousands of hours
accumulated. Any help anyone can give me on this is greatly
appreciated.

Thanks,
Sam

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Nov 5, 1:23 pm, "T. Valko" wrote:
Your times are probably TEXT entries.

Try this:

Select the range of cells in question
Goto the menu DataText to columns
Click Next twice
Under Column data format select DATE
Finish

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Brik" wrote in message

ups.com...

I'm having an issue trying to total large time values. I've made sure
to set my cell format to [h]:mm:ss for both figures and total, but
anytime I sum these numbers I get an 0:00:00 for the total.

Below is a sample of the 220 rows I need to total.

Name 1 171:06:28
Name 2 140:37:48
Name 3 87:00:26
Name 4 145:54:46
Name 5 100:19:47
Name 6 89:30:58
Name 7 86:21:33
Name 8 131:02:22
Name 9 159:13:17

As you can see the totals will be in the thousands of hours
accumulated. Any help anyone can give me on this is greatly
appreciated.

Thanks,
Sam- Hide quoted text -

That did the trick!!
One of those answers that was in my face and I never would have seen
it. Thanks a ton for the help.

Sam