Buildscharacter

Default Summing large numbers...

I have a worksheet that has 2 collumns. The first collumn is just the
numerical order of each person (survey data). So it's simply 1, 2, 3,
4, 5...etc. Nothing crazy.
The collomn next to it is the results of the survey. It's simple data
(.123, .456, .789). My problem is that each of the numerical orders has
quite a few data points. So number 1 may have 5-6 sets of data in the
2nd collumn. So it looks like this

1 .123
1 .342
1 .425
1 .345
2 .123
2 .654
2 .346
3 .264
3 .346

There are probably around 65,000 data points so I was not about to
manually go and sum them. Is there a way that I can sum the data in the
2nd collumn for each "group"? Thanks.

--
Buildscharacter
Buildscharacter's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=28783

Niek Otten

Look at DataSubtotals

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten

"Buildscharacter"
<Buildscharacter.1yg5py_1131904803.3979@excelfor um-nospam.com wrote in
message news:Buildscharacter.1yg5py_1131904803.3979@excelf orum-nospam.com...

[...]

Peo Sjoblom

Are these numbers sorted the way they are in your example so all numbers
that are the same are grouped together
If so you can use datasubtotals although 65000 sounds like an awful lot and
of course if there are too many different people the subtotal will not work
since it would use up more space than excel provides

If not sorted you can use SUMIF

=SUMIF(A:A,1,B:B)

Peo Sjoblom

(No private emails please)

[...]

Arvi Laanemets

Hi

Use pivot table (DataPivot Table and ...). The row value will be first
column, data value will be the sum of 2nd column, Options determine, ar
grand totals calculated or not.

Arvi Laanemets