Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default DMAX function for Office 2007

I hope I can explain this in words...

I have some excel worksheets, the first worksheet has a table with multiple
house listings and their sales price, along with other info. The table also
includes the type of dwelling, (ex, condo, ranch style, victorian). In
another worksheet, I was trying to use the DMAX function to get me the max
sale price for each type of dwelling. When I used the help it showed... Dmax
(database, field, criteria)
I was putting =DMAX(selecting the worksheet with the data, then selecting the
Header for Sales Price, then selecting the worksheet that I am putting this
formula in and typing C10 , which says one of the types of dwellings)
I tried for hours, different ways of doing this and I could not get anywhere.
Can anyone understand what I am asking, and please explain what I am doing
wrong?

THANK YOU!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Assume the table is A4:H50, you also need to create a criteria range, assume
the header for the sale prices are called Prices and the header for the
house styles is called Styles
Criteria range is J1:J2 with Styles in J1 and condo in J2

=DMAX(Sheet1!A4:H50,"Prices",J1:J2)

replace names ranges etc with your own

of course an easier way might be to use a single array formula like

=MAX(IF(Sheet1!A5:A50="condo",Sheet1!B5:B50))

entered with ctrl + shift & enter

Peo Sjoblom