Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default v-look up - no results

When doing v-lookup from one spreadsheet to another, it displays the formular
instead of the result. I pulled the first set of numbers out of a database
and made sure they are all numbers, not text. The second set of data was
sent to me and seems also to be numbers.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Chances are that your sheet is set to display formulas, OR, the sheet is
formatted as text prior to you putting in your formulas.

--
Regards
Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03

"Kerstin" wrote in message
When doing v-lookup from one spreadsheet to another, it displays the
formular
instead of the result. I pulled the first set of numbers out of a
database
and made sure they are all numbers, not text. The second set of data was
sent to me and seems also to be numbers.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Two things to check for:

1. sheet is set for manual calculation - press F9 to recalculate, and
if this corrects it click on Tools | Options | Calculation tab and
click Automatic instead of Manual for a more permanent fix.

2. cell is formatted as text - click on Format | Cells | Number tab to
check for this, and set to General. Click OK, then double-click the
cell as if to edit and then press Enter to make the format change take
effect.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Oct 30, 9:40 pm, Kerstin wrote:
When doing v-lookup from one spreadsheet to another, it displays the formular
instead of the result. I pulled the first set of numbers out of a database
and made sure they are all numbers, not text. The second set of data was
sent to me and seems also to be numbers.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If the cell displays the formula (only one 'r', unless you're from
Boston), you're entering it in a cell that's been formatted as Text, so
XL doesn't try to interpret it as a formula.

In article ,
Kerstin wrote:

When doing v-lookup from one spreadsheet to another, it displays the formular
instead of the result. I pulled the first set of numbers out of a database
and made sure they are all numbers, not text. The second set of data was
sent to me and seems also to be numbers.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi guys:

Did all that. Checked for auto calculations, formulars etc. Now I wanted
to start fresh again, I have two separate worksheets, click on the number
which is the same in both so that I get the info from the second worksheet
into my own, but now I can't even say which cell range to look up the number.
As soon as I want to go into the second worksheet to highlight my range, I'm
stuck there.