Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default TABLE function - not recalculating correctly

I have a complex data table that is calculating based on the results of
another data table. The first time I enter it, the dependent data table
calculates just fine. After one worksheet recalculation, though, the data
table loses its dynamic-ness - it ends up choosing one value and sticking at
it. I'm trying to develop the probability of an event based on amalgamated
probabilities of other events, all derived off a RAND()call with some rules
(if statements), and so I need to run like 1000 trials.

Anybody know of this issue, where data tables "stick" on one value?

I'm pretty certain I put in the data table correctly...
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Maybe:

ToolsOptionsCalculation tab, Calculation is set to "Automatic except tables"

By "tables" do you mean tables like in DataTables?

Otherwise, check this list:

http://xldynamic.com/source/xld.xlFAQ0024.html

especially "corrupted dependency tree"

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Jacob" wrote in message ...
|I have a complex data table that is calculating based on the results of
| another data table. The first time I enter it, the dependent data table
| calculates just fine. After one worksheet recalculation, though, the data
| table loses its dynamic-ness - it ends up choosing one value and sticking at
| it. I'm trying to develop the probability of an event based on amalgamated
| probabilities of other events, all derived off a RAND()call with some rules
| (if statements), and so I need to run like 1000 trials.
|
| Anybody know of this issue, where data tables "stick" on one value?
|
| I'm pretty certain I put in the data table correctly...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Yes, "DataTable..."

Automatic recalculation is set to "Automatic", NOT "Automatic except tables".

I tried the Ctrl-Alt-Shift-F9 and Ctrl-Alt-F9 methods - no fix :-(

Any other ideas? Again - the data table is being contructed based on the
results of another data table.... it works sometimes, but not consistently.

Thanks,

Jacob

"Jacob" wrote in message ...
|I have a complex data table that is calculating based on the results of
| another data table. The first time I enter it, the dependent data table
| calculates just fine. After one worksheet recalculation, though, the data
| table loses its dynamic-ness - it ends up choosing one value and sticking at
| it. I'm trying to develop the probability of an event based on amalgamated
| probabilities of other events, all derived off a RAND()call with some rules
| (if statements), and so I need to run like 1000 trials.
|
| Anybody know of this issue, where data tables "stick" on one value?
|
| I'm pretty certain I put in the data table correctly...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
ED2 ED2 is offline

I'm having exactly the same problem and cannot find the solution or a
workaround. Data tables I created and used in earlier versions of Excel no
longer work properly for me.

Any help out there?

"Jacob" wrote in message ...
|I have a complex data table that is calculating based on the results of
| another data table. The first time I enter it, the dependent data table
| calculates just fine. After one worksheet recalculation, though, the data
| table loses its dynamic-ness - it ends up choosing one value and sticking at
| it. I'm trying to develop the probability of an event based on amalgamated
| probabilities of other events, all derived off a RAND()call with some rules
| (if statements), and so I need to run like 1000 trials.
|
| Anybody know of this issue, where data tables "stick" on one value?
|
| I'm pretty certain I put in the data table correctly...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Does anyone of you use Excel2007?

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"ED2" wrote in message ...
| I'm having exactly the same problem and cannot find the solution or a
| workaround. Data tables I created and used in earlier versions of Excel no
| longer work properly for me.
|
| Any help out there?
|
| "Jacob" wrote:
|
| Yes, "DataTable..."
|
| Automatic recalculation is set to "Automatic", NOT "Automatic except tables".
|
| I tried the Ctrl-Alt-Shift-F9 and Ctrl-Alt-F9 methods - no fix :-(
|
| Any other ideas? Again - the data table is being contructed based on the
| results of another data table.... it works sometimes, but not consistently.
|
| Thanks,
|
| Jacob
|
| "Niek Otten" wrote:
|
| Maybe:
|
| ToolsOptionsCalculation tab, Calculation is set to "Automatic except tables"
|
| By "tables" do you mean tables like in DataTables?
|
| Otherwise, check this list:
|
| http://xldynamic.com/source/xld.xlFAQ0024.html
|
| especially "corrupted dependency tree"
|
| --
| Kind regards,
|
| Niek Otten
| Microsoft MVP - Excel
|
| "Jacob" wrote in message ...
| |I have a complex data table that is calculating based on the results of
| | another data table. The first time I enter it, the dependent data table
| | calculates just fine. After one worksheet recalculation, though, the data
| | table loses its dynamic-ness - it ends up choosing one value and sticking at
| | it. I'm trying to develop the probability of an event based on amalgamated
| | probabilities of other events, all derived off a RAND()call with some rules
| | (if statements), and so I need to run like 1000 trials.
| |
| | Anybody know of this issue, where data tables "stick" on one value?
| |
| | I'm pretty certain I put in the data table correctly...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
ED2 ED2 is offline

"Niek Otten" wrote:

Does anyone of you use Excel2007?

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

Yes; I do use 2007, and that is my complaint -- what I was able to do in
2003, I am no longer able to do in 2007.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

OK.
I'm not sure it is the same issue (haven't had time yet to figure out), but there was a discussion in one of the groups about
tables in 2007, where the final conclusion was: "it's a bug".
Google for a post by "frustrated Professor <frustrated " and check whether it is the same
issue.

Post again in this same thread if it's not or if you have additional questions

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"ED2" wrote in message ...

| "Niek Otten" wrote:
|
| Does anyone of you use Excel2007?
|
| --
| Kind regards,
|
| Niek Otten
| Microsoft MVP - Excel
|
| Yes; I do use 2007, and that is my complaint -- what I was able to do in
| 2003, I am no longer able to do in 2007.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
ED2 ED2 is offline

It is EXACTLY this problem! I, too, am a frustrated professor as I both use
this feature in my own research and I instruct/require my students to do so
as well. everything worked in 2003 and earlier versions.

Ed