Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Nathaniel Givens

Default Data table is not updating correctly in excel 2003

I have found 3 sets of identical instructions for getting data tables to work
(including the simple instructions included with excel 2003) but my data
table will not work.

I enter the variables that I want in a column (A20:A29 in this case). I
enter a link to the formula that I want in B19 (in this case '=Profit', which
is defined elsewhere). I get the correct answer for B19 (based on the
non-variable value I have above). In this case the profit function depends,
among other things on a variable "ResponseRate" which is a named range
corresponding to cell E4.

So, I have everything set up correctly and I highlight the correct cells,
select Data - Table, Column Reference and then type in either "Response
Rate" or "E4" (I've tried both). The Data table instanly fills in the
columns, BUT ONLY FOR THE CURRENT VALUE OF "ResponseRate".

I know the error is not with my defintion of the formula I have in the range
defined as "profit". If I update my actual "ResponseRate" then my profit
formula gives me the right answer. But my damn data table just gives me 10
copies of the exact same variable.

Please help me with this. I'm going to go insane.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max

Perhaps try excluding the calc mode factor first
Press F9 - does it compute properly ?

Calc mode may be set to "Manual",
or to "Automatic except tables"
(the latter is a setting used quite commonly with calc-intensive data tables)

To check / change calc modes:
Click Tools Options Calculation tab

If the above isn't it, then try this working sample implementation
(set-up along the lines of your post):

http://cjoint.com/?gbc2YQsdBu
Data Table.xls
--
Max
Singapore
"Nathaniel Givens" wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Nathaniel Givens

Max-

Thanks so much. I actually managed to figure this one out just before you
posted - and you were exactly right. For some reason the workbook was set to
"calcute automatically except tables". Changing this to "calculate
automatically" fixed the problem.

I appreciate the response.

"Nathaniel Givens" wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max

Glad to hear you got it solved !
Thanks for the feedback ..

For some reason the workbook was set to
"calculate automatically except tables".

As data tables can become calc-intensive very quickly <g,
think that's why the semi-auto setting: "Automatic except tables"
is provided as a selectable calc-mode option