Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Unwanted dash

Hi

sorry if this has been posted before, i didnt know what to search for.

I am sorting out my company invoice, in the sub total column i have for
example "=E24*F24" and so on, then at the bottom I have another sum
adding those up to give me the overall total.

My problem is in the subtotal column, every cell where I have that
divide sum, a dash is shown as default until the sum is used then I get
the amount of the divide.

can I get rid of the dashes? I dont want a column of dashes (-) in the
subtotal, I want them all blank.

Thanks very much in advance for any help
RS
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Sandy Mann wrote:
I assume that your cells are formatted as Accounting and the dashes indicate
a zero. If so try:

=IF(SUM(your range)=0,"",Sum(your range))

thanks so much, works perfectly
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Actually I just had a thought, if it is possible that zero could be a
legitimate answer, (ie positive & negative values in the range), then

=IF(COUNT(your range)=0,"",Sum(your range))

Would be a better option.

Sandy
and the crowning place of kings

"Remo Shiva" wrote in message
. uk...
Sandy Mann wrote:
I assume that your cells are formatted as Accounting and the dashes
indicate a zero. If so try:

=IF(SUM(your range)=0,"",Sum(your range))

thanks so much, works perfectly

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Sandy Mann wrote:
Actually I just had a thought, if it is possible that zero could be a
legitimate answer, (ie positive & negative values in the range), then

=IF(COUNT(your range)=0,"",Sum(your range))

Would be a better option.

cheers for that, but no, zero would never be a possible answer, so first
is great

thanks again :)