Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
DrB DrB is offline

Default =A(B2) isn't working

Trying to have a cell read the number in another cell to come up with the
cell number from which the data is located, i.e., I have 25 in B2 and want
to read and show the data in A(the number in B2) or A25 in this case, but it
comes up with #name?. Am I doing it right?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Try something like this:

=INDEX(A:A,B2)

Is that something you can work with?
--------------------------

Regards,

Ron (XL2003, Win XP)
Microsoft MVP (Excel)

"DrB" wrote in message
Trying to have a cell read the number in another cell to come up with the
cell number from which the data is located, i.e., I have 25 in B2 and want
to read and show the data in A(the number in B2) or A25 in this case, but
it comes up with #name?. Am I doing it right?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

One way:

=INDIRECT("A" & B2)

Another:

=INDEX(A:A,B2)

In article ,
"DrB" wrote:

Trying to have a cell read the number in another cell to come up with the
cell number from which the data is located, i.e., I have 25 in B2 and want
to read and show the data in A(the number in B2) or A25 in this case, but it
comes up with #name?. Am I doing it right?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

=INDIRECT("A"&B2)

with 25 in B2 will return what's in A25, a non volatile version would be

=INDEX(A:A,B2)

Peo Sjoblom

"DrB" wrote in message
Trying to have a cell read the number in another cell to come up with the
cell number from which the data is located, i.e., I have 25 in B2 and want
to read and show the data in A(the number in B2) or A25 in this case, but
it comes up with #name?. Am I doing it right?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Try it like this:

=INDIRECT("A"&B2)

Or possibly:

=INDEX(A:A,B2)

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"DrB" wrote in message
Trying to have a cell read the number in another cell to come up with the
cell number from which the data is located, i.e., I have 25 in B2 and want
to read and show the data in A(the number in B2) or A25 in this case, but
it comes up with #name?. Am I doing it right?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

No. You need to do it this way:

=INDIRECT("A"&B2)

i.e. the value in B2 (25) is joined onto A to give the cell reference,
which INDIRECT can make sense of.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Oct 15, 11:29 pm, "DrB" wrote:
Trying to have a cell read the number in another cell to come up with the
cell number from which the data is located, i.e., I have 25 in B2 and want
to read and show the data in A(the number in B2) or A25 in this case, but it
comes up with #name?. Am I doing it right?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

No, as you have it, Excel is looking for a function called A. Try using the
INDIRECT function:

=INDIRECT("A"&B2)

HTH,
Elkar

"DrB" wrote:

Trying to have a cell read the number in another cell to come up with the
cell number from which the data is located, i.e., I have 25 in B2 and want
to read and show the data in A(the number in B2) or A25 in this case, but it
comes up with #name?. Am I doing it right?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
DrB DrB is offline

Default =A(B2) isn't working - GOOD

That works. Thanks to everyone.

Now I want to paste into cells but keep B2 the same and allow A to change as
I paste along the row. I tried =indirect(A&"B2") but did not work. Can it be
done?

"DrB" wrote:

Trying to have a cell read the number in another cell to come up with the
cell number from which the data is located, i.e., I have 25 in B2 and
want
to read and show the data in A(the number in B2) or A25 in this case, but
it
comes up with #name?. Am I doing it right?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Pasting along a row, across columns - just use the Index() formula with an
absolute revision to B2:

=INDEX(A:A,$B$2)
--
HTH,

RD

\

"DrB" wrote:

Trying to have a cell read the number in another cell to come up with
the
cell number from which the data is located, i.e., I have 25 in B2 and
want
to read and show the data in A(the number in B2) or A25 in this case,
but it
comes up with #name?. Am I doing it right?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max Max is offline

"DrB" wrote
Now I want to paste into cells but keep B2 the same and allow A to change
as I paste along the row...

Use Biff's 2nd option, with the point to B2 fixed
In the starting cell: =INDEX(A:A,$B2)
Copy across
--
Max
Singapore

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

"DrB" wrote...
That works. Thanks to everyone.

Now I want to paste into cells but keep B2 the same and allow A to
change as I paste along the row. I tried =indirect(A&"B2") but did
not work. Can it be done?

Your formula =INDIRECT(A&"B2") doesn't work unless A is a defined name
that evaluates to a text string, perhaps to "XYZ", in which case
A&"B2" would evaluate to "XYZB2", and that'd have to be a different
defined name referring to a cell range.

If you want the column letter to vary along the row given by the value
of cell B2, then you need to use something like either

=INDEX($1:$65536,$B$2,x)

or

=INDIRECT("R"&$B$2&"C"&x,0)

where x is a placeholder for an expression that determines how you
want the column to vary.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max Max is offline

Oops, sorry, line
Use Biff's 2nd option ..

should have read as:
Use the INDEX option suggested in Ron's, JE's, Peo's & Biff's responses ..

--
Max
Singapore
http://savefile.com/projects/236895
xdemechanik
---

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
DrB DrB is offline

Default =A(B2) isn't working - THANK YOU

Thanks everyone for your help