Mr. C

Default loan calculator cells, P&I formulas do not copy to second cloumn

I am trying to use the loan calculator two times at once, on the same
spreadsheet. In other words, copy the column of cells that the variables are
entered into, (Loan Amount, Interest Rate, Years, Start Date) to a nearby
column and run slightly different numbers, say different interest rate or
different loan amount and be able to quickly compare the results in the lower
portion of both columns (P&I, total interest paid, total of payments, number
of payments), on the same spreadsheet, at the same time

Apparently the "loan calculator" uses IF statements which I do not
understand and cannot figure out. (I must be too old!). When the original
cells are highlighted there is a drop down box on the top left menu bar with
field names that correspond to the cell being entered, like, Loan_Amount, or
Loan_Start, Interest_Rate etc. I only see cell addresses when I highlight the
second, copied column (the second column that I cam trying to run the same
formulas, but using the modified data).

Can anyone understand my problem? Can anyone help?

Thank you
Ron C

Peo Sjoblom

Why don't you copy and paste special as values, that way you would have the
data you need
independent of the formulas, then put in the modified data where the first
used to be for a comparison?
Btw, the cells are using defined names, that is why you see them in the name
box when you select the cells
it can be foound and changed under insertnamedefine where you can see a
list of all names and their
absolute references, if you delete from there they will revert to the cell
coordinates

Peo Sjoblom

"Mr. C" <Mr. wrote in message
[...]

Mr. C

Thank you but this was not helpful. I want to have both sets "live" so that
changes can be made and obserrved, also, the insertnamedefine does not
work. Only the cell name appears in the name box.
This is what I am trying to do:
Ron
Enter values
Loan amount $30,000.00
Annual interest rate 3.290% 5.000%
Loan period in years 5 5
Start date of loan 4/1/2005 4/1/2005

Monthly payment $542.94 $542.94
Number of payments 60 60
Total interest $2,576.13 $2,576.13
Total cost of loan $32,576.13 $32,576.13

"Mr. C" <Mr. wrote in message
[...]

Peo Sjoblom

You can use it with 2 sets live unless it is protected which might be the
reason you can't see the names
under define. If you look where you get the results (select one cell with a
result), can you see the formula?
If so just copy the formula let's say 2 columns to the right, now instead of
the defined names replace them with the cells
where you want to put the second variables, that should do it. Or roll your
own, look at the PMT function in help

Peo Sjoblom

"Mr. C" <Mr. wrote in message
[...]

Mr. C

Peo,
Thank you again.
No, I cannot see any formulas for the calculation, only like "=E9", "=E10"
etc.
the formulas in the original cells are
=IF(Values_Entered,Monthly_Payment,"")
=IF(Values_Entered,Loan_Years*12,"")
=IF(Values_Entered,Total_Cost-Loan_Amount,"")
=IF(Values_Entered,Monthly_Payment*Number_of_Payme nts,"")

SOme of hte name box items a
=Number_of_Payments
=Total_Interest
=Total_Cost

I think what I do not get is what the "IF" statements are and how they work.
If I double click on any of the second result cells I get blue lines around
the original cells

Any other info or direction to help me solve this is appreciated,
Ron