Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default How can i sum up numbers which are counted on a date.

Hi, I am working with a sheet that has data based on the month and number of
items counted. I want to know the number of items counted per month, how can
i make a formula for this.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Need to see the structure of your data, but......
This will count the number of times "January" occurs in column A.
=COUNTIF(A:A,"January")

This will sum the data in column B where column A equals "January".
=SUMIF(A:A,"January",B:B)

Tweak as needed.
Terry wrote:
Hi, I am working with a sheet that has data based on the month and number of
items counted. I want to know the number of items counted per month, how can
i make a formula for this.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Terry

Assuming your Months are in A and Items in B
=SUMIF(A:A,"October",B:B)

This assumes that column A contains text of Month names. Of it is month
number, then
=SUMIF(A:A,10,B:B)
for October etc.
--
Regards
Roger Govier

"Terry" wrote in message
Hi, I am working with a sheet that has data based on the month and number
of
items counted. I want to know the number of items counted per month, how
can
i make a formula for this.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I'm making a couple of assumptions he

If you've got details of your items in column B, with the relevant dates in
column A
(cells A1:B7):
01/02/2007 3
01/02/2007 8
01/02/2007 2
01/05/2007 1
01/05/2007 5
01/06/2007 3
01/06/2007 6

Then in column D you've got a list of unique months
(cells D1:D3):
01/02/2007
01/05/2007
01/06/2007

You could use the following formula in cell E1 to give you a sum of items
appearing in each month:
{=SUM(IF(D1=$A$1:$A$7,$B$1:$B$7))}

This has to be entered as an array formula - press Ctrl~Shift~Enter instead
of just Enter when completing the formula. Drag this down from E1 to E3 for
your totals on each month.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi everyone thanks for the help, I should have been more clear on what I was
actually doing.
Darren your comment was more like the actuall workbook.
Column A on Sheet 1 is dates ie 14-Jan-2007 Column B is the Number I need to
count.
This is then summarized by dates on sheet 3 and i need a seperate formula
for each month then to count the number of items within each date.

So how would i find values within the month rather then based on the title
ie ' October ' For example

"Darren Bartrup" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

This is the current attempt to count by date for january but its not working
any ideas ?
=SUMIF('Data Input'!A5:A1294,2,'Data Input'!B5:B1294)

"Terry" wrote:

Hi, I am working with a sheet that has data based on the month and number of
items counted. I want to know the number of items counted per month, how can
i make a formula for this.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Just one more thing, when i say it is summarized by dates i mean on sheet 3 i
have a list Jan
Feb
Mar ect... so then for each month in column b i need to know how
many items were counted on sheet 1

"Darren Bartrup" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I THINK THE CRITERIA PART IS MY PROBLEM !!!
=SUMIF('Data Input'!$A$5:A1294,"(--('Data
Input'!$A$5:$A$1294=DATE(2007,1,1)),--('Data
Input'!$A$5:$A$1294<=DATE(2007,1,30)))",'Data Input'!$B$5:B1294)

"Terry" wrote:

Hi, I am working with a sheet that has data based on the month and number of
items counted. I want to know the number of items counted per month, how can
i make a formula for this.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

ok, so if your Sheet1 contains in columns A1:B5
14/02/2007 3
15/02/2007 2
01/03/2007 1
03/05/2007 5
02/03/2007 3

and Sheet3 contains in range A1:A3
01/02/2007
01/03/2007
01/05/2007

then the formula in range B1:B3 should be:
{=SUM(IF(MONTH(A1)=MONTH(Sheet1!$A$1:$A$5),Sheet1! $B$1:$B$5))}

(again an array formula). I tried this using SUMIF, but it didn't like it.
:(

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Terry

Try entering in B1 of Sheet3
=SUMPRODUCT(--(TEXT(Sheet1!$A$1:$A$100,"mmm")=A1),--(Sheet1!$B$1:$$B100))
This assumes that Jan is in A1 of Sheet3
Copy down to B12

--
Regards
Roger Govier