Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default using more than 1 formula in the same cell in excel

I am trying to create an order form where column A has a drop down box to
choose an item and column B has a drop down box to choose a category.
Depending on the choices selected I need to create variable prices.

ie if A = jumper, B = wool then C = £3, but if A = shirt, B = silk then C = £5

Can anyone help me please

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You could use data validation for the drop down boxes..

See Here.

Then the VLOOKUP function for the prices.

for example your information is contained Sheet2 A2:C50
A B C
1 Clothing type Material Cost
2 Jumper Wool £3
3 Shirt Silk £5

Your formula might look like this (assuming your drop down lists are in
Sheet1
cell A2 (Clothing type) Cell B2 (Material)
In Sheet1 cell C2 type...

=VLOOKUP(A2,Sheet2!A2:C50,3,0)

This will return the following...

If Jumper is selected from the first drop down list cell C2 will show £3.

Hope this helps,

Gav.

"cerobeth" wrote:

I am trying to create an order form where column A has a drop down box to
choose an item and column B has a drop down box to choose a category.
Depending on the choices selected I need to create variable prices.

ie if A = jumper, B = wool then C = £3, but if A = shirt, B = silk then C = £5

Can anyone help me please

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks for your help. You make it sound so easy, but will that work having
so many variations? Column A can be any number of items, column B has
several items but only 1 of these items needs to be recognised in the formula
and C will give a different price for each of items A.

"cerobeth" wrote:

I am trying to create an order form where column A has a drop down box to
choose an item and column B has a drop down box to choose a category.
Depending on the choices selected I need to create variable prices.

ie if A = jumper, B = wool then C = £3, but if A = shirt, B = silk then C = £5

Can anyone help me please

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

With the table of items/materials/Costs in B2:D9 as in:

1
Clothing Type
Material
Cost

2
Jumper
Wool
£3.00

3
Jumper
silk
£5.00

4
Jumper
cotton
£2.00

5
Shirt
Silk
£5.00

6
Shirt
Wool
£4.00

7
Shirt
velvet
£7.00

8
Shirt
cotton
£3.00

=INDEX(C2:C8,SUMPRODUCT((A2:A8=F1)*((B2:B8=G1)*(RO W(A2:A8)-1))))

--
HTH

Sandy
and the crowning place of kings

"cerobeth" wrote:

I am trying to create an order form where column A has a drop down box
choose an item and column B has a drop down box to choose a category.
Depending on the choices selected I need to create variable prices.

ie if A = jumper, B = wool then C = £3, but if A = shirt, B = silk then
C = £5

Can anyone help me please

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

OOPs! I should have check how it looked before I posted:

With the table of items/materials/Costs in B2:D9 as in:

A B C
1 Type Material Cost
2 Jumper Wool
3 Jumper Silk
4 Jumper Cotton
5 Shirt Silk
6 Shirt Wool
7 Shirt Velvet
8 Shirt Cotton
9 Shirt

Then use:
=INDEX(C2:C8,SUMPRODUCT((A2:A8=F1)*((B2:B8=G1)*(RO W(A2:A8)-1))))

where F1 is the Colthing Item and G1 is the Material

Hopefully this will be more understandable

--
HTH

Sandy
and the crowning place of kings

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I don't understand this formula to be able to use it. maybe my example of
clothing wasn't very good so i'll explain properly

the spreadsheet is for a price list for wedding stationery
Column A is the design
Column B is the items of stationery
each design has a different price for each item

I know its confusing and i'm probably in way over my head but i need to
succeed.

"Sandy Mann" wrote:

OOPs! I should have check how it looked before I posted:

With the table of items/materials/Costs in B2:D9 as in:

A B C
1 Type Material Cost
2 Jumper Wool
3 Jumper Silk
4 Jumper Cotton
5 Shirt Silk
6 Shirt Wool
7 Shirt Velvet
8 Shirt Cotton
9 Shirt

Then use:
=INDEX(C2:C8,SUMPRODUCT((A2:A8=F1)*((B2:B8=G1)*(RO W(A2:A8)-1))))

where F1 is the Colthing Item and G1 is the Material

Hopefully this will be more understandable

--
HTH

Sandy
and the crowning place of kings

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

It doesn't make any difference what you have in the columns the formula will
work anyway. Send me a sample worksheet with your table of
Design/stationery/Cost and I will return it with an example of how to use
the formula.

As it saiys in a signature replace the @mailinator.com because that is a
spam trap.