Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Automatically fill info from a list

Hello,

Is there a way to automatically fill data from a list.
For example, if I typed Denver in cell A1, the sheet would automatically put
in "Broncos" in cell A2.

Trying to enter one of a series of names of people, and their manager's name
would automatically appear.

Thanks for your help
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Here's an example of how to do that:

Sheet2, cells A1:B5 contain this list:
Alpha Maple
Bravo Oak
Charlie Ash
Delta Pine
Echo Cherry

On Sheet1
A1: Charlie
B1: =VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet2!$A$1:$B$5,2,0)

In that example, B1 returns: Ash

For more information on using VLOOKUP and lists see this website:

Is that something you can work with?
--------------------------

Regards,

Ron (XL2003, Win XP)
Microsoft MVP (Excel)

"nabanco" wrote in message
Hello,

Is there a way to automatically fill data from a list.
For example, if I typed Denver in cell A1, the sheet would automatically
put
in "Broncos" in cell A2.

Trying to enter one of a series of names of people, and their manager's
name
would automatically appear.

Thanks for your help

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Ron,

Read your answer to nabanco - just wanted to know what the( ,2,0 ) at the
end of the function represented ... the other bits I understand.

Kind regards
Finance Guru

"nabanco" wrote in message
Hello,

Is there a way to automatically fill data from a list.
For example, if I typed Denver in cell A1, the sheet would automatically
put
in "Broncos" in cell A2.

Trying to enter one of a series of names of people, and their manager's
name
would automatically appear.

Thanks for your help

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Regarding:
=VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet2!$A$1:$B$5,2,0)

That formula translates to this:
Find the value that is in cell A1 (argument_1)
In the left column of the range Sheet2!$A$1:$B$5 (argument_2)
and return the corresponding value from the 2nd column of that range
(argument_3)

The 4th argument indicates whether an approximate match will be used:
True or 1 indicate: Yes
False or 0 indicate: No

I hope that helps.
--------------------------

Regards,

Ron (XL2003, Win XP)
Microsoft MVP (Excel)

"nabanco" wrote in message
Hello,

Is there a way to automatically fill data from a list.
For example, if I typed Denver in cell A1, the sheet would
automatically
put
in "Broncos" in cell A2.

Trying to enter one of a series of names of people, and their manager's
name
would automatically appear.

Thanks for your help

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thank you Ron,
It was extremely helpful to lay the full function out in plain English.
Now I am going to give it a go.