KFuda

Default How can I fill data in a list automatically?

I have a spreadsheet laid out like a list with indented items. The first
7columns contain data pertaining to an individual, while the next 5 columns
contain data about events occuring to that individual. The problem is that
one individual may have several events, but the personal data is filled in
only once, for the first event; the first 7 columns are simply left blank for
subsequent events (these are all listed following each other).

there are several thousand events in this list. How can I copy the personal
data so that each row is complete, with all columns filled in?
Earl Kiosterud

K,

You're not really using database designs. Excel doesn't have tools to work
with different "record types," (where a personal record (header row), would
be followed by any number of event records (detail rows). Then another
header record, etc. Generally, you do one of two things:

Put all personal information in each event record, and have only event
records. This is ineffecient from a storage space standpoint, but works OK,
and there are lots of Excel tools to work with such a table (sort, subtotal,
pivot table, database functions, etc.)

Have a personal info table, one record per person, and a separate event
table, with a common ID for the person for which the event is. The event
records need be in no particular order, though the table could be sorted as
disired. Then wherever you need to, use a VLOOKUP into the person table
along with the data from the event table. In a database program, these
would be a primary table and a related table. Such relationships are
handled easily and automatically in database programs, but require work with
Excel.

Earl Kiosterud
www.smokeylake.com