Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Richard

Default how do I update a sheet automatically with the info from another?

I have a report that was downloaded from an ERP system into an Excel
spreadsheet. We manually take the numbers from this spreadsheet and update
another in a different workbook. Not all the information from the report is
used. Isn't there a way to run somekind of macro to automatically do this?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Gord Dibben

Richard

As a starting point...................................

Certainly you can run a macro to automate this.

That is the purpose of VBA.

The only difficult part is how you decide which information is to be used and
how you will get that to the other workbook.

Can you perhaps use the Macro Recorder to run through your steps and refine the
code?

How will you filter the info for pertinence?

How will you transfer once you filter? Copy and paste or just straight "linked
cells"?

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 16:29:02 -0700, Richard
wrote:

I have a report that was downloaded from an ERP system into an Excel
spreadsheet. We manually take the numbers from this spreadsheet and update
another in a different workbook. Not all the information from the report is
used. Isn't there a way to run somekind of macro to automatically do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Richard

Default how do I update a sheet automatically with the info from anoth

Hi Gord,

Appreciate you're response, but I'm a little lost. Let me walk you through
my process. What I do now is write down the information that I need and once
I have everything I input that info into the appriate spots on the other
sheet. What you're describing sounds complicated. Isn't ther some genieric
code or program I could use to do this with? I don't know squat about VBA or
recording Macro's and refining code. Whatever help you can provide would be
appreciated.

Thank You,

Richard

wrote:

I have a report that was downloaded from an ERP system into an Excel
spreadsheet. We manually take the numbers from this spreadsheet and update
another in a different workbook. Not all the information from the report is
used. Isn't there a way to run somekind of macro to automatically do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Gord Dibben

Richard

Check out Help on "linking".

You can set up formulas on Sheet2 that will receive data from selected cells on
Sheet1.

e.g.

On Sheet2 in A1 enter this formula =Sheet1!D4

Now, when you enter data or the data value changes in D4 on Sheet1, it will
automatically go into A1 of Sheet2

Gord