Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Conditional formatting question

I want a cell to be highlighted red if it contains the letter D AT
ALL. Not just highlighted if the cell ONLY has a D.

For Example: a cell that = "D 8/17" or "D 9/10" should be highlighted
red. The dates after the D will constantly be different, I just want
any cells with the capital letter D in them to be filled in w/red.

Any ideas on how to do this? Conditional formatting only allows me to
fill the cell with red if it equals JUST D. Not D + random date. Any
help is much appreciated, thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Try this:

Select the cell in question. Assume it's cell A1.
Goto the menu FormatConditional Formatting
Formula Is: =COUNT(FIND("D",A1))
Click the Format button
Select the style(s) desired
OK out

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

wrote in message
ups.com...
I want a cell to be highlighted red if it contains the letter D AT
ALL. Not just highlighted if the cell ONLY has a D.

For Example: a cell that = "D 8/17" or "D 9/10" should be highlighted
red. The dates after the D will constantly be different, I just want
any cells with the capital letter D in them to be filled in w/red.

Any ideas on how to do this? Conditional formatting only allows me to
fill the cell with red if it equals JUST D. Not D + random date. Any
help is much appreciated, thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

In conditional formatting, select Formula is, not Cell value is.

Insert the following: =Left(<Cell Addr,1)="D", eg =LEFT(A1,1),"D". Select
Format, Patterns and Red.

Should you then put a D in A1, or Dummy, or Date, or D 8/17, the cell will
turn red.

--
Hth

Kassie Kasselman
Change xxx to hotmail

" wrote:

I want a cell to be highlighted red if it contains the letter D AT
ALL. Not just highlighted if the cell ONLY has a D.

For Example: a cell that = "D 8/17" or "D 9/10" should be highlighted
red. The dates after the D will constantly be different, I just want
any cells with the capital letter D in them to be filled in w/red.

Any ideas on how to do this? Conditional formatting only allows me to
fill the cell with red if it equals JUST D. Not D + random date. Any
help is much appreciated, thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Sep 25, 11:49 am, JE McGimpsey wrote:
One way:

CF: Formula Is =COUNTIF(A1,"*D*")
Format: <pattern/<color

In article . com,

wrote:
I want a cell to be highlighted red if it contains the letter D AT
ALL. Not just highlighted if the cell ONLY has a D.

For Example: a cell that = "D 8/17" or "D 9/10" should be highlighted
red. The dates after the D will constantly be different, I just want
any cells with the capital letter D in them to be filled in w/red.

Any ideas on how to do this? Conditional formatting only allows me to
fill the cell with red if it equals JUST D. Not D + random date. Any
help is much appreciated, thanks!- Hide quoted text -

When I enter that -- it colors the cell if its EMPTY rather than if it
has any D's....am i missing something?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Yes, you must be missing something, but I have no idea what. Did you use
the cell reference for the active cell when you entered your CF?