Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Calculating hours

Hi
I need to do a sheet where I put in a time, 7:15 for example in a cell. In
another cell I would enter 11:30 for example. The difference in time is 4.25
hours. What formula would I use to get this answer?
Thanks for any help

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Assume the start time is in A1 and the finish time in B1, both in
Excel time format, put this formula in C1:

=(B1-A1)*24

Format C1 as a number with 2 dp.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Sep 18, 10:43 pm, "Ian" wrote:
Hi
I need to do a sheet where I put in a time, 7:15 for example in a cell. In
another cell I would enter 11:30 for example. The difference in time is 4.25
hours. What formula would I use to get this answer?
Thanks for any help

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks Pete

I'll try that
Cheers
Ian

oups.com...

On Sep 18, 10:43 pm, "Ian" wrote:
Hi
I need to do a sheet where I put in a time, 7:15 for example in a cell.
In
another cell I would enter 11:30 for example. The difference in time is
4.25
hours. What formula would I use to get this answer?
Thanks for any help

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You're welcome, Ian.

Pete

On Sep 19, 12:06 am, "Ian" wrote:
Thanks Pete

I'll try that
Cheers
Ian

oups.com...

On Sep 18, 10:43 pm, "Ian" wrote:
Hi
I need to do a sheet where I put in a time, 7:15 for example in a cell.
In
another cell I would enter 11:30 for example. The difference in time is
4.25
hours. What formula would I use to get this answer?
Thanks for any help

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If you don't want to have to worry about changeing the formatting manually,
you could also try:

C1=VALUE(TEXT(((B1-A1)*24),"0.00"))

Where B1="11:30" and A1="7:15"

Thanks,
Mike

"Ian" wrote:

Hi
I need to do a sheet where I put in a time, 7:15 for example in a cell. In
another cell I would enter 11:30 for example. The difference in time is 4.25
hours. What formula would I use to get this answer?
Thanks for any help

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Sorry, but I'm confused, Mike. There's obviously some subtlety that has
escaped me. Why have you used TEXT to convert a number to text, and then
VALUE to change it back to a number again? What was wrong with simply
=(B1-A1)*24 ?
--
David Biddulph

"Ian" wrote:

Hi
I need to do a sheet where I put in a time, 7:15 for example in a cell.
In
another cell I would enter 11:30 for example. The difference in time is
4.25
hours. What formula would I use to get this answer?
Thanks for any help

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

David, I think this was to force the formatting to "0.00" without
having to do it manually.

Pete

"Ian" wrote:

Hi
I need to do a sheet where I put in a time, 7:15 for example in a cell.
In
another cell I would enter 11:30 for example. The difference in time is
4.25
hours. What formula would I use to get this answer?
Thanks for any help

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I wondered that, but after the VALUE aren't you back to a number that needs
formatting if you want anything other than the default? Doesn't the default
show as 4, rather than 4.00, if you have a 4 hour difference, despite the
TEXT function?
--
David Biddulph

oups.com...

"Ian" wrote:

Hi
I need to do a sheet where I put in a time, 7:15 for example in a
cell.
In
another cell I would enter 11:30 for example. The difference in time
is
4.25
hours. What formula would I use to get this answer?
Thanks for any help

quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Yeah, you're right David - I've just tried it. Maybe Michael will come
back and explain his reasoning.

Pete

On Sep 19, 11:04 am, "David Biddulph" <groups [at] biddulph.org.uk
wrote:
I wondered that, but after the VALUE aren't you back to a number that needs
formatting if you want anything other than the default? Doesn't the default
show as 4, rather than 4.00, if you have a 4 hour difference, despite the
TEXT function?
--
David Biddulph

oups.com...