Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Pete_UK Pete_UK is offline

Default Calculating hours

Yeah, you're right David - I've just tried it. Maybe Michael will come
back and explain his reasoning.

Pete

On Sep 19, 11:04 am, "David Biddulph" <groups [at] biddulph.org.uk
wrote:
I wondered that, but after the VALUE aren't you back to a number that needs
formatting if you want anything other than the default? Doesn't the default
show as 4, rather than 4.00, if you have a 4 hour difference, despite the
TEXT function?
--
David Biddulph

"Pete_UK" wrote in message

oups.com...

David, I think this was to force the formatting to "0.00" without
having to do it manually.

Pete

On Sep 19, 8:45 am, "David Biddulph" <groups [at] biddulph.org.uk
wrote:
Sorry, but I'm confused, Mike. There's obviously some subtlety that has
escaped me. Why have you used TEXT to convert a number to text, and then
VALUE to change it back to a number again? What was wrong with simply
=(B1-A1)*24 ?
--
David Biddulph

"Michael Bowers" wrote in
message

If you don't want to have to worry about changeing the formatting
manually,
you could also try:

C1=VALUE(TEXT(((B1-A1)*24),"0.00"))

Where B1="11:30" and A1="7:15"

Thanks,
Mike

"Ian" wrote:

Hi
I need to do a sheet where I put in a time, 7:15 for example in a
cell.
In
another cell I would enter 11:30 for example. The difference in time
is
4.25
hours. What formula would I use to get this answer?
Thanks for any help

quoted text -