Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Keeping the correct cells when making a formula?

I am sure this already answered, but I can not find it, so forgive me in
advance.

I created a Excel Spreadsheet to make some forecasts... anyways I have a
formula that will always be pulling from the same two cells and one that
changes with every cell. So the formula is =(I6*D3)*N3 so the next cell with
read =(J6*D3)*N3, and following that =(K6*D3)*N3. Now this is in about 400
columns, and if I drag the cell across to copy all the variables increase.

So how can I make sure that the last 2 variables do not change, I need the
ability to have them change if I change those respective fields.

Hope that makes sense, oh and this is in Excel 2007 but I had the same issue
with Excel 2003.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

hi,
I haven't worked with 07 yet. still stuck on xp but i don't think they would
have changed this.
I noticed in your formulas that they all have relative references. in other
words, they keep their references to other cells relative to the position
they are in. you may want to have absolute references in the two cells you
refer to. to do that percede the column/row id with a dollar sign.

Instead of =(J6*D3)*N3, put this =($J$6*$D$3)*$N$3
the second way, the cell references will never change no matter where you
paste them.
read up on absolute and relative references in xl help.

regards
FSt1

"Drokare" wrote:

I am sure this already answered, but I can not find it, so forgive me in
advance.

I created a Excel Spreadsheet to make some forecasts... anyways I have a
formula that will always be pulling from the same two cells and one that
changes with every cell. So the formula is =(I6*D3)*N3 so the next cell with
read =(J6*D3)*N3, and following that =(K6*D3)*N3. Now this is in about 400
columns, and if I drag the cell across to copy all the variables increase.

So how can I make sure that the last 2 variables do not change, I need the
ability to have them change if I change those respective fields.

Hope that makes sense, oh and this is in Excel 2007 but I had the same issue
with Excel 2003.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Add $ signs to make the references absolute.

=(I6*$D$3)*$N$3

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP