Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default test for falling with the bounds of intersecting 2 dimensional cur

I am trying to validate if specific (x,y) coordinates fall within the area
bounded by intersecting curves with equations "y=f(x)", and am looking for
help to set this up. I have tried the normal logic of IF, AND, OR but have
not been successful at all.

Has anyone ever tried this in Excel, or am I the first one to venture into
this area?
--
Mukesh

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

How many intersecting curves define your area? If it is defined by 2
curves, such as where f1(x) is =x and f2(x) is =x^2-5*x, then your formula
for (xvalue,yvalue) being within the area would be
=(yvalue<f1(xvalue))<(yvalue<f2(xvalue))
--
David Biddulph

"Mukesh" wrote in message
I am trying to validate if specific (x,y) coordinates fall within the area
bounded by intersecting curves with equations "y=f(x)", and am looking for
help to set this up. I have tried the normal logic of IF, AND, OR but
have
not been successful at all.

Has anyone ever tried this in Excel, or am I the first one to venture into
this area?
--
Mukesh

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default test for falling with the bounds of intersecting 2 dimensional

I have four functions of the type "y=f(x)". Actually the fourth one is the
CIE 1931 locus of the human eye response to colors, and is a very complex
function. The others are more like "y = mx+c". Since the complex function is
represented by an instrument's data input, the data will always be bounded on
that side. I am currently more concerned with the first 3 equations of the
first order, and would just like to ensure that my data points are within
their bounds.
--
Mukesh