Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Pam Pam is offline

Default why is the zero falling off a zip code in excel?

I am doing a spreadsheet in excel and in the zip code field the zero is
falling off the front. it is 08015 and it keeps changing to 8015. can
anyone tell me why?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Excel eliminates leading 0s by default.
See this for help,
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...c53a3fddb34000
, or format your cells as text.

--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

"Pam" wrote:

I am doing a spreadsheet in excel and in the zip code field the zero is
falling off the front. it is 08015 and it keeps changing to 8015. can
anyone tell me why?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
CLR CLR is offline

Pre-format the cell(s) as TEXT or type a leading apostrophe before typing the
zip with the leading zero........

Vaya con Dios,
Chcuk, CABGx3

"Pam" wrote:

I am doing a spreadsheet in excel and in the zip code field the zero is
falling off the front. it is 08015 and it keeps changing to 8015. can
anyone tell me why?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Numbers are just numbers to excel. And 1 = 00000000001, so it doesn't care and
won't show them--unless you do something special.

#1. PRE-Format the cell as text (format|cells|number tab|Text)
#2. Start your data entry with an apostrophe ('08015)
#3. Give the cell a custom format
(Format|Cells|number tab|custom category)
00000
or if you could have 9 digit zips:
[99999]00000-0000;00000

Pam wrote:

I am doing a spreadsheet in excel and in the zip code field the zero is
falling off the front. it is 08015 and it keeps changing to 8015. can
anyone tell me why?

--

Dave Peterson