Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Jim Jim is offline

Default row comparison

I do not know if this is even possible to do in excel but here goes. I have a
table with three columns: Location, Item, Quantity.

I need rows that have the location and item the the same to have the
quantity added together and then delete the old rows creating a new row of
just one. The locations are formatted as text due to its containing numbers
and letters. The locations are all of the same length and format. (#######L)
The sheet starts as organized by location if that makes any difference. Not
all locations have duplicates or even the same number of duplicate entries.

Example:

Original
Location Item Quantity
1313011A 12345 10
1313011A 12345 20

New
1313011A 12345 30

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

It's pretty easy - select a cell within your range of data, then use
Data-Pivot tables and Pivot charts. Then just follow the prompts. Put your
Location and Items into the row header area, and the Quantity in the data
area, making sure that the SUM operator is selected. Then let 'er rip

"Jim" wrote:

I do not know if this is even possible to do in excel but here goes. I have a
table with three columns: Location, Item, Quantity.

I need rows that have the location and item the the same to have the
quantity added together and then delete the old rows creating a new row of
just one. The locations are formatted as text due to its containing numbers
and letters. The locations are all of the same length and format. (#######L)
The sheet starts as organized by location if that makes any difference. Not
all locations have duplicates or even the same number of duplicate entries.

Example:

Original
Location Item Quantity
1313011A 12345 10
1313011A 12345 20

New
1313011A 12345 30

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Jim Jim is offline

Well as usual, they changed the scope of the project. Not by much but enough.
I am having problems with the pivot table. I have a column for "pending"
meaning its on an order and may or may not be here anymore. When I add this
to the data area it just wants to do a count. I want it to show the total
"pending" in that location. If I change teh data to sum it just puts zeros
where all my pending have any value. (some locations do not have pending,
hence no value). Any suggestions?