Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default using the google spreadsheets

First of all thanks for those advising me. Second I suppose that the
google spreadsheets are simular to exell. If not please say so.
Third. ...Anyone can tell me the formula for subtracting 1 cell from
another?
I thought It would be something like MIN=(A6-B6) but i can only find
the sum formula what adds up two values.

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

"compactstu" wrote...
First of all thanks for those advising me. Second I suppose that the
google spreadsheets are simular to exell. If not please say so.

Why would you expect Excel users to know how any other spreadsheet works?
Many do, but they probably know OLDER spreadsheets than Excel rather than
newer ones.

Third. ...Anyone can tell me the formula for subtracting 1 cell from
another?

Same as in Excel (or nearly any other spreadsheet)

=A6-B6

returns the value of A6 minus the value of B6.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I know nothing of google spreadsheets but in Excel.................

23 in A1 45 in B1

In C1 enter =B1-A1

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 02:44:13 -0000, compactstu wrote:

First of all thanks for those advising me. Second I suppose that the
google spreadsheets are simular to exell. If not please say so.
Third. ...Anyone can tell me the formula for subtracting 1 cell from
another?
I thought It would be something like MIN=(A6-B6) but i can only find
the sum formula what adds up two values.

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Just tried Google Spreadsheets, it works exactly this way.

On Aug 16, 10:44 am, Gord Dibben <gorddibbATshawDOTca wrote:
I know nothing of google spreadsheets but in Excel.................

23 in A1 45 in B1

In C1 enter =B1-A1

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 02:44:13 -0000, compactstu wrote:
First of all thanks for those advising me. Second I suppose that the
google spreadsheets are simular to exell. If not please say so.
Third. ...Anyone can tell me the formula for subtracting 1 cell from
another?
I thought It would be something like MIN=(A6-B6) but i can only find
the sum formula what adds up two values.

Thanks.- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

hi Harlan,

thanks for your help.

Stuart

On Aug 15, 7:55 pm, "Harlan Grove" wrote:
"compactstu" wrote...
First of all thanks for those advising me. Second I suppose that the
google spreadsheets are simular to exell. If not please say so.

Why would you expect Excel users to know how any other spreadsheet works?
Many do, but they probably know OLDER spreadsheets than Excel rather than
newer ones.

Third. ...Anyone can tell me the formula for subtracting 1 cell from
another?

Same as in Excel (or nearly any other spreadsheet)

=A6-B6

returns the value of A6 minus the value of B6.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Aug 16, 7:44 am, Gord Dibben <gorddibbATshawDOTca wrote:
I know nothing of google spreadsheets but in Excel.................

23 in A1 45 in B1

In C1 enter =B1-A1

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 02:44:13 -0000, compactstu wrote:
First of all thanks for those advising me. Second I suppose that the
google spreadsheets are simular to exell. If not please say so.
Third. ...Anyone can tell me the formula for subtracting 1 cell from
another?
I thought It would be something like MIN=(A6-B6) but i can only find
the sum formula what adds up two values.

Thanks.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for the reply,

Stu

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Aug 16, 12:21 pm, ilia wrote:
Just tried Google Spreadsheets, it works exactly this way.

On Aug 16, 10:44 am, Gord Dibben <gorddibbATshawDOTca wrote:

I know nothing of google spreadsheets but in Excel.................

23 in A1 45 in B1

In C1 enter =B1-A1

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 02:44:13 -0000, compactstu wrote:
First of all thanks for those advising me. Second I suppose that the
google spreadsheets are simular to exell. If not please say so.
Third. ...Anyone can tell me the formula for subtracting 1 cell from
another?
I thought It would be something like MIN=(A6-B6) but i can only find
the sum formula what adds up two values.

Thanks.- Hide quoted text -

Hi Ilia,

I have tried to do it but something is going wrong

If cell A9 value = 4
If cell B9 value = 2

I want the value in a formula in cell C9

Than is should be =Sum(A9-B9)

Well it doesn't do anything so where I am going wrong??

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

i did it both ways

=B4-C4
and
=sum(B4:C4)

and they both worked for me. although the one with "sum" took a
minute to calculate.
i don't know enough about google spreadsheets to say why yours isn't
working.
:)
susan

On Aug 17, 2:51 pm, compactstu wrote:
On Aug 16, 12:21 pm, ilia wrote:

[...]

Well it doesn't do anything so where I am going wrong??- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I finally got it....Thanks

SW

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

"Susan" wrote in message
oups.com...
=sum(B4:C4)

and they both worked for me. although the one with "sum" took a
minute to calculate.

Do you *really* mean one minute?

Sandy
and the crowning place of kings

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Sandy -
no, not an actual 60 seconds, but i'm on broadband & no way was it
instantaneous - maybe 30 seconds. i was sitting there waiting for it,
and was thinking it wasn't going to work at all.
i had never looked @ google spreadsheets before, but i was pretty
disappointed in the product.
:)
susan

On Aug 17, 5:59 pm, "Sandy Mann" wrote:
"Susan" wrote in message

oups.com...

=sum(B4:C4)

and they both worked for me. although the one with "sum" took a
minute to calculate.

Do you *really* mean one minute?

Sandy
and the crowning place of kings

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

"Susan" wrote...
i had never looked @ google spreadsheets before, but i was pretty
disappointed in the product.

It's still a toy, and it probably will always be.

ThinkFree seems to be the solidest online spreadsheet at the moment, though
EditGrid may be catching up fast.