Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default remove time stamp from date in excel

I have pasted data from project into excel. I have the project dates with a
time stamp 07/14/07 10:12 PM. I want to strip the time portion off from the
date. Format just changes the appearance but does not remove the hidden time
stamp.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If you want to actually truncate the dates before the time stamp....

Try this:

Select the column of date/times to be impacted

From the Excel main menu:
<data<text-to-columns
Step_1: Check: Delimited..........Click [Next]
Step_2: Check: Space..............Click [Next]
Step_3: Check: Select the 2nd column (with the time in it)
...........Check: Do not import column
...........Repeat for any other columns to the right of the date
...........Click [Finish]

That will replace the Date/Time values with just the Date portion
(Remember to set the number format to one that only displays a Date)

Is that something you can work with?
***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2003, WinXP

"Nmeyer" wrote:

I have pasted data from project into excel. I have the project dates with a
time stamp 07/14/07 10:12 PM. I want to strip the time portion off from the
date. Format just changes the appearance but does not remove the hidden time
stamp.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Ron - can you explain how to start with the steps you recommend. I don't see where to select delimited from the Excel main menu as noted. The data I need to truncate is already pasted into a column so I don't need to import the data.

Thanks,

Tony

http://www.eggheadcafe.com
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Copied from the previous post and annotated:

First: Select the column of date/times to be impacted
(so if your 'dates' are in A2:A500....select that range)

Then...from the Excel main menu:
Click: <data<text-to-columns
Step_1: Check: Delimited..........Click [Next]
Step_2: Check: Space..............Click [Next]
Step_3: Check: Select the 2nd column (with the time in it)
...........Check: Do not import column
...........Repeat for any other columns to the right of the date
...........Click [Finish]

Note: I enclose menu commands with these characters <.
Example: <file<savemeans:
......Click FILE from the Main Menu
......Click SAVE from the list

Does that help?
***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2003, WinXP

"Tony Mitchell" wrote:

Ron - can you explain how to start with the steps you recommend. I don't see where to select delimited from the Excel main menu as noted. The data I need to truncate is already pasted into a column so I don't need to import the data.

Thanks,

Tony

http://www.eggheadcafe.com

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi I've tried this using a date only column but when I mail merge to word it
always puts in the time element which I don't want. How can i stop this
happening.

Cheers
Trish

"Ron Coderre" wrote:

If you want to actually truncate the dates before the time stamp....

Try this:

Select the column of date/times to be impacted

From the Excel main menu:

"Nmeyer" wrote:

I have pasted data from project into excel. I have the project dates with a
time stamp 07/14/07 10:12 PM. I want to strip the time portion off from the
date. Format just changes the appearance but does not remove the hidden time
stamp.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Try this in your Word document:

Right-click on the date field
Categories: Date and time
....set an appropriate date format that does not include a time component.
Click [OK]

Does that help?
***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2003, WinXP

"Ron Coderre" wrote:

If you want to actually truncate the dates before the time stamp....

Try this:

Select the column of date/times to be impacted

From the Excel main menu:

"Nmeyer" wrote:

I have pasted data from project into excel. I have the project dates with a
time stamp 07/14/07 10:12 PM. I want to strip the time portion off from the
date. Format just changes the appearance but does not remove the hidden time
stamp.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Drat! I missed a step...

the instructions should be:

Right-click on the date field
Check: EDIT FIELD

"Ron Coderre" wrote:

If you want to actually truncate the dates before the time stamp....

Try this:

Select the column of date/times to be impacted

From the Excel main menu: