Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Export Explorer Metadata to Excel

I'm interning at a company in Jacksonville, Florida and I've been sent on a
'wild goose chase,' so please...bear with me on the details.

We have an internal customer who is looking to export the file headings for
any particular folder in Windows Explorer on XP to an Excel Spreadsheet. He
also wants to be able to organize them much intune to the functionality that
is in place in Explorer...(date created, size, filetype and the like). Does
such functionality exist?

Don't be afraid to ask for more information as you won't hurt my feelings.

-Michael

postscript: this is on XP Pro in Excel 2003

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
CLR CLR is offline

The closest I could come to that would be to suggest trying Jim Cone's fine
commercial Excel Add-in called ListFiles.........it's available at:

http://www.realezsites.com/bus/primitivesoftware/

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"J. Michael Barnwell" wrote:

I'm interning at a company in Jacksonville, Florida and I've been sent on a
'wild goose chase,' so please...bear with me on the details.

We have an internal customer who is looking to export the file headings for
any particular folder in Windows Explorer on XP to an Excel Spreadsheet. He
also wants to be able to organize them much intune to the functionality that
is in place in Explorer...(date created, size, filetype and the like). Does
such functionality exist?

Don't be afraid to ask for more information as you won't hurt my feelings.

-Michael

postscript: this is on XP Pro in Excel 2003

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Several methods to accomplish this.......I like Tushar's best if importing to
Excel.

To add a "Print Directory" feature to Explorer, go to
this KB Article.

http://support.microsoft.com/default...EN-US;q272623&

Or you can download Printfolder 1.2 from.....

http://no-nonsense-software.com/freeware/

I use PF 1.2 and find it to be more than adequate with custom
features.

OR Go to DOS(Command) prompt and directory.
Type DIR MYFILES.TXT

All the above create a *.TXT file which can be opened in Notepad or
Excel.

One more method if you want to by-pass the *.TXT file and pull
directly to Excel is to use Tushar Mehta's Excel Add-in. This allows filtering
and sorting once you have the data in Excel.

http://www.tushar-mehta.com/ scroll down to Add-insDirectory
Listing.

Download the ZIP file and un-zip to your Office\Library folder.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP