Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Excel 2000, RAND and IF functions do not work together for me

I am using Excel 2000, and I cannot get RAND and IF functions to work
together properly.
For example, B2 is =RAND()*(6-1)+1 to generate a random number between 1 and
6.
B3 is =IF(B2=3,"Yes") to return the value Yes if B2 is 3.
But B3 always returns "FALSE" instead of any other value, even if B2 is 3.

--
-Jesse CH
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Jesse,

It doesn't, it displays Yes when b2 = 3 so there is something wrong with the
way you are seeing B2.

As a start try this. Delete the formula from B2, format the cell as general
and enter the number 3. Does B3 change to yes? If it does then out your
formula back in B2 and it should work.

Mike

"Jesse CH" wrote:

I am using Excel 2000, and I cannot get RAND and IF functions to work
together properly.
For example, B2 is =RAND()*(6-1)+1 to generate a random number between 1 and
6.
B3 is =IF(B2=3,"Yes") to return the value Yes if B2 is 3.
But B3 always returns "FALSE" instead of any other value, even if B2 is 3.

--
-Jesse CH

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Jesse,

Another thought, there are literally tens of millions of random numbers
between 1 and 6 so you have a better chance of winning the lottery than
hitting exactly 3 and getting a YES in B3.

Mike
Mike

"Jesse CH" wrote:

I am using Excel 2000, and I cannot get RAND and IF functions to work
together properly.
For example, B2 is =RAND()*(6-1)+1 to generate a random number between 1 and
6.
B3 is =IF(B2=3,"Yes") to return the value Yes if B2 is 3.
But B3 always returns "FALSE" instead of any other value, even if B2 is 3.

--
-Jesse CH

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

When the cell B2 is reformatted to general and the number 3 is entered, I do
indeed see Yes. However, when I put the RAND function back in to B2, it still
returns as FALSE. I have formatted the cell as Number with 0 decimal places,
does that matter? I've also tried formatting individual and all cells as
general and number.
--
-Jesse CH

"Mike H" wrote:

Jesse,

It doesn't, it displays Yes when b2 = 3 so there is something wrong with the
way you are seeing B2.

As a start try this. Delete the formula from B2, format the cell as general
and enter the number 3. Does B3 change to yes? If it does then out your
formula back in B2 and it should work.

Mike
--

-Jesse CH

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Jesse,

See my other reply, you never will, there are just too many numbers between
1 and 6 for it to be likely you will ever hit any integer let alone the one
you want 3.

Mike

"Mike H" wrote:

Jesse,

It doesn't, it displays Yes when b2 = 3 so there is something wrong with the
way you are seeing B2.

As a start try this. Delete the formula from B2, format the cell as general
and enter the number 3. Does B3 change to yes? If it does then out your
formula back in B2 and it should work.

Mike
--
-Jesse CH

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Jesse,

I missed one of your points. Formatting with zero decimal places has no
effect except to alter the way you see the number, the underlying number is
un-changed. If you really want to see a 3 change your formula to this and tap
F9 a few times.
Using the Int function reduces it to 5 options.

=INT(RAND()*(6-1)+1)

Mike