Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default How to make the First alphabets in the cell to be blank.

hi,

I have the data in Cell A1 as bird456, my results should show as if there
is any alphabets starting in the cell it should return as blank, if not it
should indicate as 1.

bird456 - 0
2566asd - 1

Do the needful.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If you mean any character except a number

=IF(ISERROR(--(LEFT(TRIM(A1)))),0,1)

Peo Sjoblom

"Igneshwara reddy" wrote in
message ...
hi,

I have the data in Cell A1 as bird456, my results should show as if there
is any alphabets starting in the cell it should return as blank, if not it
should indicate as 1.

bird456 - 0
2566asd - 1

Do the needful.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Try something like this:

=--ISNUMBER(--LEFT(A1,1))

Does that help?
***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"Igneshwara reddy" wrote:

hi,

I have the data in Cell A1 as bird456, my results should show as if there
is any alphabets starting in the cell it should return as blank, if not it
should indicate as 1.

bird456 - 0
2566asd - 1

Do the needful.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I have the data in Cell A1 as bird456, my results should show as if there
is any alphabets starting in the cell it should return as blank, if not it
should indicate as 1.

bird456 - 0
2566asd - 1

Another possibility...

=IF(AND(CODE(A20)=48,CODE(A20)<=57),1,0)

Rick

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Igneshwara reddy wrote...
I have the data in Cell A1 as bird456, my results should show as
if there is any alphabets starting in the cell it should return
as blank, if not it should indicate as 1.

bird456 - 0
2566asd - 1

Everyone else seems to have relied on these two samples being
exhaustive of all possibilities, so replied as if your specs were
'first char a decimal digit then 1, otherwise 0' rather than your
CLEARLY STATED specs 'first char letter then 0, otherwise 1'. On the
off chance you really did state what you meant, try this

=1-COUNT(SEARCH(LEFT(A1,1),"ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXY Z"))

Note that this will return 0 when A1 is blank or evaluates to "". If
you want that to produce "", change the formula to

=IF(A7="","",1-COUNT(SEARCH(LEFT(A7,1),
"ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ")))

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

maybe this will not happen in your case, for sure!

if do, then what result u may need if the cell will contain real date like
July 03,2007
1 or 0 ?

regards,
driller
--
*****
birds of the same feather flock together..

"Igneshwara reddy" wrote:

hi,

I have the data in Cell A1 as bird456, my results should show as if there
is any alphabets starting in the cell it should return as blank, if not it
should indicate as 1.

bird456 - 0
2566asd - 1

Do the needful.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Sir Harlan,
sorry i'm just kinda confuse now,,

its a habit trying always to test formulas...

When I intentionally type these <!,^,/as first character in the cell...1 is
the result..
don't know really why?
wish to hear more clarification...

regards,
driller

--
*****
birds of the same feather flock together..

Igneshwara reddy wrote...