Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Harlan Grove Harlan Grove is offline

Default How to make the First alphabets in the cell to be blank.

Igneshwara reddy wrote...
I have the data in Cell A1 as bird456, my results should show as
if there is any alphabets starting in the cell it should return
as blank, if not it should indicate as 1.

bird456 - 0
2566asd - 1

Everyone else seems to have relied on these two samples being
exhaustive of all possibilities, so replied as if your specs were
'first char a decimal digit then 1, otherwise 0' rather than your
CLEARLY STATED specs 'first char letter then 0, otherwise 1'. On the
off chance you really did state what you meant, try this

=1-COUNT(SEARCH(LEFT(A1,1),"ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXY Z"))

Note that this will return 0 when A1 is blank or evaluates to "". If
you want that to produce "", change the formula to

=IF(A7="","",1-COUNT(SEARCH(LEFT(A7,1),
"ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ")))