Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Problems changing array field in formula

I've created a formula

=SUMPRODUCT(--(Name="Jon"),--(Category=B"),Spend)

which sums the spend when columns name = Jon and category = B.

I've now changed the "Spend" array to "SpendVol" array (which represents a
new column)
therefore use
=SUMPRODUCT(--(Name="Jon"),--(Category=B"),SpendVol)
But this returns #VALUE.

This makes no sense as its the same formula just accessing a different column.

Does anyone know why this would return this value or if there are any bugs
that can occur in a file that would cause this.

Thanks
Harry

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

this is now solved.
Another question however,

in a similar manner is there a way to find the maximum, minimum and average
numbers within the identified fields.
e.g.
Max.....of (--(Name="Jon"),--(Category=B"),Spend)

thanks
Harry

"Harry Seymour" wrote:

I've created a formula

=SUMPRODUCT(--(Name="Jon"),--(Category=B"),Spend)

which sums the spend when columns name = Jon and category = B.

I've now changed the "Spend" array to "SpendVol" array (which represents a
new column)
therefore use
=SUMPRODUCT(--(Name="Jon"),--(Category=B"),SpendVol)
But this returns #VALUE.

This makes no sense as its the same formula just accessing a different column.

Does anyone know why this would return this value or if there are any bugs
that can occur in a file that would cause this.

Thanks
Harry

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Harry

I would just insert 3 rows above your existing header row.
Mark your header rowDataFilterAutofilter
In row 1 above Spend (let's assume Spend is in column D), enter
in D1 =SUBTOTAL(4,D5:D1000) this will give the Maximum
in D2 =SUBTOTAL(5,D5:D1000) this will give the Minimum
in D3 =SUBTOTAL(1,D5:D1000) this will give the Average

Now use the dropdowns to apply a filter to Name and select Jon, and a
filter to Category and select B

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Harry Seymour" wrote in
message ...

"Harry Seymour" wrote:

I've created a formula

=SUMPRODUCT(--(Name="Jon"),--(Category=B"),Spend)

which sums the spend when columns name = Jon and category = B.

I've now changed the "Spend" array to "SpendVol" array (which
represents a
new column)
therefore use
=SUMPRODUCT(--(Name="Jon"),--(Category=B"),SpendVol)
But this returns #VALUE.

This makes no sense as its the same formula just accessing a
different column.

Does anyone know why this would return this value or if there are any
bugs
that can occur in a file that would cause this.

Thanks
Harry

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

=MAX(IF((Name="Jon")*(Category=B"),Spend))

etc.

which is an array formula, it should be committed with Ctrl-Shift-Enter, not
just Enter.
Excel will automatically enclose the formula in braces (curly brackets), do
not try to do this manually.
When editing the formula, it must again be array-entered.