Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default VIN Number sorting

I have over 12000 VIN numbers on a worksheet. What I would like to do is find
an equation that would pull all of the VIN numbers that started with a
certain sequence of numbers & Letters -
Ie all VIN numbers that begin with RVS1T3. I've tried using the V-Lookup
and I can't seem to get the equation to pull correctly.
Please help!

Thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
bj bj is offline

check out <data<filter either auto filter or advanced filter could
potencially do what you want

"HRassist" wrote:

I have over 12000 VIN numbers on a worksheet. What I would like to do is find
an equation that would pull all of the VIN numbers that started with a
certain sequence of numbers & Letters -
Ie all VIN numbers that begin with RVS1T3. I've tried using the V-Lookup
and I can't seem to get the equation to pull correctly.
Please help!

Thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

With the advanced filter function I couldn't find a place to indicate the
beginning sequence I was looking for (I.E.the first 6 digits of the VIN
numbers)--- also--- Would a count function work with the sort filter?
Because-- after I have the list of VIN numbers- I will need to count how many
there are?

Thanks BJ!

"HRassist" wrote:

I have over 12000 VIN numbers on a worksheet. What I would like to do is find
an equation that would pull all of the VIN numbers that started with a
certain sequence of numbers & Letters -
Ie all VIN numbers that begin with RVS1T3. I've tried using the V-Lookup
and I can't seem to get the equation to pull correctly.
Please help!

Thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I got the filter to work (I tried it before and I got all of the vin
numbers...- but I didn't know about the advanced selection)-- Now-- how can I
do a Count on a filtered column with out it counting all of the rows?

Thank you

"HRassist" wrote:

I have over 12000 VIN numbers on a worksheet. What I would like to do is find
an equation that would pull all of the VIN numbers that started with a
certain sequence of numbers & Letters -
Ie all VIN numbers that begin with RVS1T3. I've tried using the V-Lookup
and I can't seem to get the equation to pull correctly.
Please help!

Thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I got the filter to work!!!! -- Now.. one more thing.... how can I use a
Count function on a filtered column with out it counting all of the rows that
are hidden? (in order to count how many vins were pulled?)

THANKS BJ!!

"HRassist" wrote:

I have over 12000 VIN numbers on a worksheet. What I would like to do is find
an equation that would pull all of the VIN numbers that started with a
certain sequence of numbers & Letters -
Ie all VIN numbers that begin with RVS1T3. I've tried using the V-Lookup
and I can't seem to get the equation to pull correctly.
Please help!

Thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
bj bj is offline

you don't need the filtered colimn to do the count
you could use several other functions such as
=sumproduct(--(left(Vin_range,6)="RVS1T3"))
or
=countif(Vin_range,"RVS1T3*")
or if you have the Rv... in another cell (D3?)
=countif(Vin_range,D3&"*")

"HRassist" wrote:

I have over 12000 VIN numbers on a worksheet. What I would like to do is find
an equation that would pull all of the VIN numbers that started with a
certain sequence of numbers & Letters -
Ie all VIN numbers that begin with RVS1T3. I've tried using the V-Lookup
and I can't seem to get the equation to pull correctly.
Please help!

Thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
bj bj is offline

good catch, I forgot subtotal

"Teethless mama" wrote:

=SUBTOTAL(3,your range)

"HRassist" wrote:

I have over 12000 VIN numbers on a worksheet. What I would like to do is find
an equation that would pull all of the VIN numbers that started with a
certain sequence of numbers & Letters -
Ie all VIN numbers that begin with RVS1T3. I've tried using the V-Lookup
and I can't seem to get the equation to pull correctly.
Please help!

Thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

=SUBTOTAL(2,A2:A1405)

See help on the SUBTOTAL Function for more on filtered rows.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP