Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Text import/ Text to Column

I have tried to import a large text file by converting it to .CVS. While this
works to bring in all the records (350K rows) it imports the columns in such
a way that the Text to Edit is to complex needs a lot of manual work. I have
tried the Text Import which does work but this only brings in first 65K rows.
It seems the Text import wizard is has not been upgrade from 2003 version. Is
there a fix for this as I need this now?

Thanks, Anthony
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I assume you are working with 2007 since 2003 has a limitation of only 65K
rows per worksheet. If the file is truly as csv file then rename tthe file
to .csv. Then opening the file in excel should give you all the data.

"anto" wrote:

I have tried to import a large text file by converting it to .CVS. While this
works to bring in all the records (350K rows) it imports the columns in such
a way that the Text to Edit is to complex needs a lot of manual work. I have
tried the Text Import which does work but this only brings in first 65K rows.
It seems the Text import wizard is has not been upgrade from 2003 version. Is
there a fix for this as I need this now?

Thanks, Anthony

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Joel,
Yes, I am using 2007 - the problem is the Text Import only allows up to 65K
rows. I assume this function has not been upgraded from the 2003 version. Is
there a fix for this available to download?

"anto" wrote:

I have tried to import a large text file by converting it to .CVS. While this
works to bring in all the records (350K rows) it imports the columns in such
a way that the Text to Edit is to complex needs a lot of manual work. I have
tried the Text Import which does work but this only brings in first 65K rows.
It seems the Text import wizard is has not been upgrade from 2003 version. Is
there a fix for this as I need this now?

Thanks, Anthony

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Did you try to rename the file to .csv and the just open the file with excel?
a .csv file use the Excel icon. You can go to the window explorer and
double click on the .csv file and it willopen in excel.

"anto" wrote:

I have tried to import a large text file by converting it to .CVS. While this
works to bring in all the records (350K rows) it imports the columns in such
a way that the Text to Edit is to complex needs a lot of manual work. I have
tried the Text Import which does work but this only brings in first 65K rows.
It seems the Text import wizard is has not been upgrade from 2003 version. Is
there a fix for this as I need this now?

Thanks, Anthony

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

As per my first post, I first tried to open it as .CSV (which does work) but
what does not work is to run Text to Columns - because the data when Excel
first opens is not appearing in one consistent column (given I have got 350K
rows I do not want to spend days trying to clean this up).

MY QUESTION IS -- is there a fix for the 'Text Import' to allow MORE THAN
65K rows - IF NOT WHY NOT???

Can someone at MS help! It is crazy that Excel now supports 1,048,576 rows
by 16,384 columns but some of the wizards appear to be limited to the old
Excel 2003 limits.
Thank you. Anthony

"anto" wrote:

I have tried to import a large text file by converting it to .CVS. While this
works to bring in all the records (350K rows) it imports the columns in such
a way that the Text to Edit is to complex needs a lot of manual work. I have
tried the Text Import which does work but this only brings in first 65K rows.
It seems the Text import wizard is has not been upgrade from 2003 version. Is
there a fix for this as I need this now?

Thanks, Anthony

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I fhte file is a properly formated CSV file with commars seperating columns
then it is not necessary to perform the Text to Columns. You may have to
change the width of the columns so the data is displayed properly. but no
conversion is necessary.

I have create lots of CSV files. I put commars between the different
columns and I name the file CSV. Then all I do is open the files and all the
data is in the correct columns. If you want to skip a column the just put
two commars.

"anto" wrote:

I have tried to import a large text file by converting it to .CVS. While this
works to bring in all the records (350K rows) it imports the columns in such
a way that the Text to Edit is to complex needs a lot of manual work. I have
tried the Text Import which does work but this only brings in first 65K rows.
It seems the Text import wizard is has not been upgrade from 2003 version. Is
there a fix for this as I need this now?

Thanks, Anthony

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Does any one in Microsoft (apart from Joe) have a reply to my question -
which is why does the Text Import Wizard not work with over 65K records? If
there is a fix for this how can I get it?

I know how to use CSV and Text to Columns but for what ever reason the file
has not opened in a way that make Text to Columns a viable option here. This
is why I am asking about the Text Import wizard and why this is limited to
less than 65K records when Excel 2007 is supposed to work with over 1mn
records.

Regards Anthony

"anto" wrote:

I have tried to import a large text file by converting it to .CVS. While this
works to bring in all the records (350K rows) it imports the columns in such
a way that the Text to Edit is to complex needs a lot of manual work. I have
tried the Text Import which does work but this only brings in first 65K rows.
It seems the Text import wizard is has not been upgrade from 2003 version. Is
there a fix for this as I need this now?

Thanks, Anthony

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi

I think it may be because you are starting from a file that was created
in XL2003 or lower.
I just created a text file with 80,000 rows.
Then in a new file created in Xl2007, I opened the text file, the wizard
came into play, and parsed all 80,000 records.

So as far as I can see, there is no 65,000 limit in XL2007, provided you
are not running with a file in compatibility mode, when it would
restrict to 65,000

--
Regards

Roger Govier