Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Generating a list

Hi all,

I've been wrestling with a problem for some time now and I think it's time
to ask for some professional help :(

I've got a column from J3:J1000 that contains information that can be either
text or a measurement value (this data may contain 1 or several of the same
entry) .

What I am trying to achieve is a function that looks in this column cell by
cell and generates a dynamic list of the 1st occurrence of any data
appearing in that list (starting at T3 and moving down).

What I want to do then is a simple ranking of the list to determine the
worst offender. This bit is simple, but I just can't seem to work out how to
generate a dynamic list in the first place :(

Any ideas or pointers would be welcome.

TIA

Dave

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You can use Data | Filter | Advanced Filter to obtain a list of unique
items (which is what I think you mean when you refer to the "1st
occurrence of any data appearing in that list"). In the pop-up you can
identify your range (J3:J1000), choose unique entries only, and then
specify where you want the filtered list to be located (i.e. T3).

I'm not sure what you mean by "worst offender", but you can use
COUNTIF or SUMIF against the range J3:J1000 compared with T3 onwards,
and then apply your ranking formula.

Hope this helps.

Pete