Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Displaying row information in another file

I posted this over in misc, but no one was able to help me there. Maybe
here...

I have been asked to create a worksheet (file 1) that displays selected
table row information (row-by-row) from a second file (file 2). (The column
data in file 2 is consistently located in each row, and information is a mix
of text and numbers.) The row information in file 2 is extensive and
management wants a worksheet in file 1 that displays only selected
information.

I have achieved this in file 1 using "=" to display cell information from
each cell needed in file 2, and autoupdate works great. But, when a row in
file 2 is deleted, the corresponding row in file 1 gets filled with '#REF'.
I just want to display the information in each row from file 2 without
worrying about '#REF' showing up in file 1 when a row is deleted.

Is this possible? Or, am I stuck with getting '#REF' from deleted rows.
Unfortunately, rows must be deleted from file 2 and I have to work with
separate files.

Thanks.

Jeff

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Jeff,

you could think about using Autofilters on file 2 to select the data
you want to be displayed. You can then highlight all the visible data,
click <copy, then paste it to the other (blank, but formatted) file -
only the visible cells will be copied across.

You could record a macro while you do this, so that in future you can
just re-apply the macro to extract the data that you need.

Hope this helps.

Pete