Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default IF Statements

I need to count items in one column when the word active appears in another
column.

What I am trying to do is count all members who are "active" and who have a
shunt. Active and Shunt are in different columns and I know that I could just
filter the sheet by the columns, but I was hoping for an easier method. By
developing a formula.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

One way:

=SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A1000="active"),--(B1:B1000="shunt"))

See http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/doubleneg.html for an explanation of
the "--"

You might also consider using a Pivot Table, if you have multiple items
to count.

In article ,
Bill Roberts wrote:

I need to count items in one column when the word active appears in another
column.

What I am trying to do is count all members who are "active" and who have a
shunt. Active and Shunt are in different columns and I know that I could just
filter the sheet by the columns, but I was hoping for an easier method. By
developing a formula.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Did you actually try it?

I suspect not.