-   -   IF Statements (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/132742-if-statements.html)

Bill Roberts

IF Statements

I need to count items in one column when the word active appears in another
column.

What I am trying to do is count all members who are "active" and who have a
shunt. Active and Shunt are in different columns and I know that I could just
filter the sheet by the columns, but I was hoping for an easier method. By
developing a formula.

Don Guillett

IF Statements

=sumproduct((a2:a22="active")*(b2:b22="shunt"))

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"Bill Roberts" wrote in message
I need to count items in one column when the word active appears in another
column.

What I am trying to do is count all members who are "active" and who have
shunt. Active and Shunt are in different columns and I know that I could
just
filter the sheet by the columns, but I was hoping for an easier method. By
developing a formula.

JE McGimpsey

IF Statements

One way:

=SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A1000="active"),--(B1:B1000="shunt"))

See http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/doubleneg.html for an explanation of
the "--"

You might also consider using a Pivot Table, if you have multiple items
to count.

In article ,
Bill Roberts wrote:

I need to count items in one column when the word active appears in another
column.

What I am trying to do is count all members who are "active" and who have a
shunt. Active and Shunt are in different columns and I know that I could just
filter the sheet by the columns, but I was hoping for an easier method. By
developing a formula.

Bill Roberts

IF Statements

These formulas wanted to sum the two columns or multiply them. I am wanting
to onlu sum one column if the other has a particular text in it.

"Bill Roberts" wrote:

I need to count items in one column when the word active appears in another
column.

What I am trying to do is count all members who are "active" and who have a
shunt. Active and Shunt are in different columns and I know that I could just
filter the sheet by the columns, but I was hoping for an easier method. By
developing a formula.

JE McGimpsey

IF Statements

Did you actually try it?

I suspect not.

In article ,
Bill Roberts wrote:

These formulas wanted to sum the two columns or multiply them. I am wanting
to onlu sum one column if the other has a particular text in it.

Don Guillett

IF Statements

Both fromulas work to COUNT, not SUM if BOTH columns meet the criteria on
the SAME row.