Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Conditional Formatting based on Text

Hi there,

I have two questions:

1) I have two columns one is 'purpose for gift' and one is 'gift amount',
I've subtotaled these using excel - and would like to automatically format
the gift amount to be bold for each subtotalled line. I thought I could use
conditional formatting based on text (if cell in column C contains 'Total'
then bold cell in column D). Could someone help with the formula?

2)I would also like to format a column of cells depending on a list of text
values.
(i.e. If cell value in column F is in list ('a', 'b', 'c', 'd', 'e') then
format blue)

Thanks a lot,
I really appreciate all your input.

Wendy
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

For the first....

Select D1:D10

use conditional formatting with "formula is" option and formula

=C1="total"

select formatting as required

For the second it's easiest to list your values, a, b, c etc in a cell
range, say Z1:Z10 then select F1:F10 and use this formula in CF

=MATCH(F1,$Z$1:$Z$10,0)

apply formatting as before.

Obviously my ranges are examples change as required. You always set the
formula to apply to the "active cell2 in your range, it will automatically
adjust for other cells in the range